Is it necessary to have some official record of hours for activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hailbate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So over the past semester and summer I've been doing research at my research lab for no pay or academic credit. It was due to my ignorance cause last year I got academic credit because I was in some program that helped me find this research lab, but now that I'm on my own, I wasn't aware of how to get academic credit until recently (hopefully I will be able to get some this semester). However, I wasn't sure if that is a huge issue if I put down my own number of hours I did work there on a medical school application even if it is much more than what I would have on official record? (Past semester and summer I've had well over double the hours I worked over my first year).

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is, does it matter if I self-record hours as opposed to having the University of some institution track them for me?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your hours don't need to be officially recorded, but you will need to provide a contact person who can verify that you actually put in as much time as you claimed you did.

Reactions: 1 users
No, it's based on the honor system. But if you outright lie or significantly embellish the hours, there can be very severe consequences. Your best bet is to either keep a log of your hours, or you should be able to verify them before filling out your applications with your volunteer sites.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not always possible to get official documentation of your hours. Just be as honest as you can. If in the event they do check they will just call your PI and say "hailbate said they worked in your lab for 250 hours that semester" and your PI will be like "yeah that seems about right" and that will be that.

Reactions: 1 user