• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Is it necessary.....

Soon2BENT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
New York, NY
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
    Any input would be great...

Is it necessary to be AOA and have all honors to match into Otolaryngology (trying to get into a habit of saying that, rather then ENT). I'm a good student, probably middle of the class, 238 boards (which I read is a smidge above the average who matched) and am a fairly likeable person. I still have my Surgery rotation to go and I plan on a doing aways (1 at a long shot competitive program and another at a city and hospital that 'I just like'). What do you guys who are residents or have recently matched think? (btw, congrads recently matched.)

S2B

salsadoc44

vote for pedro
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jul 26, 2001
      go to otomatch.com and find the thread of people who matched and their stats. many did not have AOA. most have 230+ step1s, good grades and LORs. it's nearly impossible to get all honors. all you need is a few here and there. LORs matter the most IMO, more than most students realize. i did not have AOA and i matched at my #1 at a great institution.

TheThroat

SDN Moderator
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jan 18, 2001
      Arlington, Texas
      1. Attending Physician
        You def don't have to be AOA to get into Oto. Your step I score is fine as well. I would emphasize research over LOR's. If you have a "big name" write you a letter, that may carry some weight, but overall, letters are all the same. Trust me, I've interviewed candidates coming into Iowa for the last two years and most folks have very similar letters. The only one that has been different are ones that say something bad about the candidate (only one that I remember [he didn't get in]). Basic science research will turn more heads than clinical stuff, but not everyone has the time to do the basic science stuff. I would focus your out of town electives at programs that you would like to go to, not just "big name" programs.

About the Ads

Soon2BENT

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Dec 2, 2004
        New York, NY
        1. Fellow [Any Field]
          TheThroat said:
          You def don't have to be AOA to get into Oto. Your step I score is fine as well. I would emphasize research over LOR's. If you have a "big name" write you a letter, that may carry some weight, but overall, letters are all the same. Trust me, I've interviewed candidates coming into Iowa for the last two years and most folks have very similar letters. The only one that has been different are ones that say something bad about the candidate (only one that I remember [he didn't get in]). Basic science research will turn more heads than clinical stuff, but not everyone has the time to do the basic science stuff. I would focus your out of town electives at programs that you would like to go to, not just "big name" programs.

Thanks for the response. I'll be straight forward. I want to go to New England and do my residency. Any insight on the programs there. I know MEEI is probably the best, but what about Tufts and Boston University. Is it worth doing an away at any of these?

TheThroat

SDN Moderator
          Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Jan 18, 2001
          Arlington, Texas
          1. Attending Physician
            Sorry, don't know much about the northeast. If you are looking at a particular region, I would apply to EVERY program in the region and if that didn't add up to 30, would add a few outlying programs that would make the number add up to 30.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.