Is it normal for a residency to ask for ALL med school records?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBosse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just been sent a LOT of paperwork from my recently matched residency program. One of the papers was a surprise: a contract asking me to agree that my residency program can access any and all of my medical school records, including every comment ever written about me for any course or rotation. This makes me a bit uncomfortable; I have this picture of my residency director reading a comment said about me for an eval of an MS1 small group discussion that said "Needs to learn to disagree respectfully," or other negative comments I've gotten here and there, and treating me differently as a result or even regretting accepting me. I have a pretty strong personality so I have tended to get either very very good comments or pointed negative constructive criticisms.

The question: Is it normal for residency programs to obtain and read through all medical school records? Do all residencies require this kind of form? What is it they do with the information?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They only ask their "high risk" medical students to sign this, so that they can consider dropping a soon-to-be intern over a surgeon's remark about your cutting skills from anatomy lab 4 year ago. :rolleyes:

I doubt it is anything to worry about. Your program just needs to be sure you completed everything required.

My program did not ask for that, but I'm assuming it's just generic paperwork that they ask everyone for. I doubt they care about comments about being too assertive in MS1 classes. :) My guess (and it's totally a guess) is that sometimes they've wanted all records for residents who at some point become problem residents. Or they've never requested this stuff but opt to make the request as broad as possible to avoid running into any future complications.

It sounds like completing residency paperwork makes you about as nervous as it made me. The VA paperwork about caused me to have a panic attack. It's oddly kind of a stressful time.

Members don't see this ad :)
The wording was probably made by a lawyer somewhere wanting to protect the residency if by chance your school actually sends them old comments from an evil group leader. That way the school actually has permission to have them, even though it would be the school's fault for sending them.

And if you ever think we're going to let you live down those middle school library fines, or getting sent to the principal's office for chasing the first grade girls at recess...well forget about it! It's called your Permanent Record for good reason!
:smuggrin:

The lawyering up of the medical field has gotten out of control.
My grandfather showed me some of his contracts that he has signed through the years and they have increased in size and weight by a huge amount.

Directly correlates with respect going the opposite way...according to gramps. I agree of course.