Is it normal to fear failure when your doctor doesn't seem to like you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on a rotation and I'm pretty sure my doctor hates me. Every time I get a question right she is apathetic, every time I get one wrong I get a speech about how I should have known about it.

I often get conflicting orders depending on the day of the week. Quite often when I ask a question or try to give a report, she gets distracted and just walks away. And I often have the impression she thinks I'm in the way.

Is it normal to fear failure in this situation or am I being neurotic? She hasn't screamed at me or insulted me so it isn't like I have a clear indication of hate. All the other staff and patients seem to like me. And after allowing me to see my family for a holiday, she acted like I missed out, making me paranoid I should have stayed.

Not sure what to do. Is this normal? This is the first rotation I had where I felt like I couldn't even talk to my doctor. At all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm honestly praying to just pass at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately this will continue through residency as well, you cannot make everyone happy. Just keep your head down and keep working hard. Should be ok as long as this is not a pattern.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm on a rotation and I'm pretty sure my doctor hates me. Every time I get a question right she is apathetic, every time I get one wrong I get a speech about how I should have known about it.

I often get conflicting orders depending on the day of the week. Quite often when I ask a question or try to give a report, she gets distracted and just walks away. And I often have the impression she thinks I'm in the way.

Is it normal to fear failure in this situation or am I being neurotic? She hasn't screamed at me or insulted me so it isn't like I have a clear indication of hate. All the other staff and patients seem to like me. And after allowing me to see my family for a holiday, she acted like I missed out, making me paranoid I should have stayed.

Not sure what to do. Is this normal? This is the first rotation I had where I felt like I couldn't even talk to my doctor. At all.

What rotation are you on?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to surgery where more than a few attendings are emotionally-stunted weirdos who enjoy torturing others to make up for their inadequecies and how much they hate life.

Disclosure: many of my favorite rotations were surgery/OR-type rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Try to just keep improving and focus more on what you can do as compared to others reactions (which you can't control). I have the nicest resident and I still go home most days feeling like I disappointed her in some way. It is tempting to compare yourself to others and look for justifications (that other med student is further along in training/ preparing for steps, etc.) but in the end I keep telling myself the healthiest thing is to try to focus on concrete things I can do to do better tomorrow. Good luck!

I had an attending scream at me in front of other staff and still give me the highest score possible. For the majority of the rotation I wasn't sure if I would pass. I would chalk it up to tough love, show up and work hard no matter what. As hard as it can be, try not to take it personal. In the end good character and hard work will show and leave a lasting impression.

Reactions: 1 users
I had an attending scream at me in front of other staff and still give me the highest score possible. For the majority of the rotation I wasn't sure if I would pass. I would chalk it up to tough love, show up and work hard no matter what. As hard as it can be, try not to take it personal. In the end good character and hard work will show and leave a lasting impression.

No attending should ever scream at a student. Maybe A resident if they do something that hurts a patient. But never a student. That is atrociously poor form.

Reactions: 1 users
No attending should ever scream at a student. Maybe A resident if they do something that hurts a patient. But never a student. That is atrociously poor form.

I agree. Thankfully that was one time throughout my entire third year so it hasn’t been the norm.