Is it normal to lose your appetite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VolibearMain

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did lots of shadowing before starting a medical career and never had any issues, but after dissecting the body, and seeing subcutaneous fat, and epigastric appendages I just cant eat anything with cheese or most meats .

Members don't see this ad.

I did lots of shadowing before starting a medical career and never had any issues, but after dissecting the body, and seeing subcutaneous fat, and epigastric appendages I just cant eat anything with cheese or most meats .

At first, I'd say that can be normal. As you get more desensitized to the whole anatomy lab in general, your appetite will come back and it won't bother you. You will find there are often food analogies in medicine (especially in the OR) and they won't phase you after a while.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd say that this will slowly go away for you over time. Many of my classmates who were queezy got over it pretty quick, though here and there you might feel a "pang" of disgust or remorse. This goes away over time. If you find it doesn't, or gets worse, maybe talk it out with your classmates - they are going through it as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was eating a pulled pork sandwich after lab one day. I got a huge whiff of 'the smell' just as I took a very large bite (something about it...it just sticks in your nose and pops up randomly sometimes for a while after lab). Needless to say I completely lost my appetite after I finished that sandwich...

Yes because this is exactly what happened to me! Lasted for a short while, now I'm perfectly fine. Eventually I could eat sandwiches with all sorts of deli meat and cheese right before and even after anatomy.

Anatomy lab always made me really hungry for some reason.

Formaldehyde is an appetite stimulant :D I always crave ribs and pulled pork after dissection.

Reactions: 2 users
I was eating a pulled pork sandwich after lab one day. I got a huge whiff of 'the smell' just as I took a very large bite (something about it...it just sticks in your nose and pops up randomly sometimes for a while after lab). Needless to say I completely lost my appetite after I finished that sandwich...
lol you still finished the sandwich

Reactions: 3 users