is it o.k. to call program coordinator asking if you can get an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siv

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi just wondering if it is alright to call or e-mail the program coordinators to ask about interviews even though I have not been invited.......

will this reflect positively that i am interested in the program or do you think they will just get annoyed that i am contacting them ?

thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

It might annoy them, but I'm going to do it anyway. At least for the top three or so programs I really want to interview at but still haven't heard from.

I've done it to three or four (I have interviews in the area, trying to buy plane tickets, when are you planning to decide, etc). Everyone I spoke to was VERY polite and understanding and I got interviews within a week from each.

Reactions: 1 users
I know this thread is old, but since it's on topic, when would be a good time to start calling program directors? Since ERAS just opened like 3/4 days ago, I'm assuming now would be too early, should I wait till October? Or maybe when I start seeing activity on my ERAS account, like interview invites/rejections?

Thanks

If you call now your application might get scrapped, it would be incredibly annoying.

Give it at minimum a few weeks until mid-October, I would say. But I can't believe calling asking for consideration would really make a huge difference, unless you are trying to cluster interviews by region to cut down on travel costs

I called a few programs that were in areas I had other interviews when I was applying.

All the calls were at least a month into application season, after said programs had at least already started giving interviews out, and I called the coordinator and simple asked for a potential update on my status. A couple of them didn't tell me anything, a couple of them gave me an interview within a few days.

Reactions: 1 users
If you call now your application might get scrapped, it would be incredibly annoying.

Give it at minimum a few weeks until mid-October, I would say. But I can't believe calling asking for consideration would really make a huge difference, unless you are trying to cluster interviews by region to cut down on travel costs

Yea I figured now would be way too soon. That's why I was thinking around the time I start getting invites/rejections so I know programs have gone through the initial stage. Well, I know that every experience is different, but some of my seniors from last year said they called program directors and expressed interest and asked for consideration and soon after got interviews. Whether they were going to get the interview anyway, or whether the call made a difference, no idea, but at that point, meaning like late October/Nov, I doubt calling a PD would make you lose out on an interview you would have otherwise gotten, and if you weren't going to get it anyway, then you're no worse than you were before the call...of course I could be wrong.

Is it better to call or email the PC? Or both?

Reactions: 1 user
Hell yeah! Got to hustle hard.........got double my initial interviews by showing interest and being proactive.

I called a few programs that were in areas I had other interviews when I was applying.

All the calls were at least a month into application season, after said programs had at least already started giving interviews out, and I called the coordinator and simple asked for a potential update on my status. A couple of them didn't tell me anything, a couple of them gave me an interview within a few days.

So is it better to call rather than email?

So is it better to call rather than email?
I say once you are into November I would call if I did not hear from places I thought I should. I ended up matching at a place I called. So, if I did not call, I probably would not have matched into what I like. I was really surprised how things came out. So many "white lies" lol

I love you, I want you, etc......

Best advice I can give about it........trust no program. And pray you can find a resident that will tell you the truth.

Reactions: 3 users