Is it official?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should we be taking the USMLE AND COMLEX? According to the most recent AOA article in the DO on obtaining an orthopedic surgery residency, we should.

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer: Yes
The more complicated long answer: it depends

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Adding to this question, should DOs be taking step 2? If so, should they be taking both CK and CS?

@AnatomyGrey12

Adding to this question, should DOs be taking step 2? If so, should they be taking both CK and CS?

@AnatomyGrey12

Don't take CS. These dinguses take enough of our money. I've only heard of one program requiring DOs to take CS and they can go screw themselves. The only reason I wouldn't take CK is if I was planning on Peds, FM, or community IM.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't take CS. These dinguses take enough of our money. I've only heard of one program requiring DOs to take CS and they can go screw themselves. The only reason I wouldn't take CK is if I was planning on Peds, FM, or community IM.

So for competitive programs, is a good step 1 kind of useless without a good step 2 to go with it?

So for competitive programs, is a good step 1 kind of useless without a good step 2 to go with it?

I'd say no. A good step one will always be helpful, but having a Step 2 for things even moderately competitive will allow program directors to compare apples to apples, even though you're still at a disadvantage as a DO.

Reactions: 1 user
I think a passing step 2 ck is important for some places, but you don't need to have in your app, from what I see. They just want to know you will take/did pass. Personally, as long as my step 1 is solid, I will delay CK till late august to avoid having to report it if its below expectation.