Is it ok if it's really obvious from my app that DO was my 2nd choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summergirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

So I'm gearing up for a new cycle and I'll be applying to DO for the very first time. I never applied to DO before because it's hard to practice in Canada as a DO and my family is in Canada, but my parents recently agreed to move to the US with me if I need to practice there, so now I'm good on DO. I'm worried that DO schools will see from my apps that DO schools are my second choice after MDs and reject me on that. They will know this because 1) I had a very high MCAT score expire before this cycle, because I was only applying to MD before this cycle. 2) I took additional classes to boost my GPA, but never repeated any class, so I can't do grade replacement. Had I just repeated the classes, I could have saved 2 years. 3) I live in Canada but lived very close to the US for a couple of years, and yet I never crossed the border to shadow a DO.

So, I'm applying to DO this cycle and will go if they take me while no MD school does, but do you think it'll be a problem considering the above?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"I never applied to DO before because it's hard to practice in Canada as a DO and my family is in Canada, but my parents recently agreed to move to the US with me if I need to practice there, so now I'm good on DO."

Repeat as needed. Your reasons for not applying DO before are valid and not in any way 'insulting' --

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't think it will be a problem as long as you apply early. Possibly get a DO LoR since that doesn't take much work at all.

Thanks everyone, that makes me feel better. Do you think I should say my reason for not applying to DO previously? Since they would probably wonder why I let my MCAT expire without throwing an app at DO. It wouldn't really fit with my essay but I might be able to tweak it to add it in.

I'm sure that it's not the first time that they've had students apply there after a failed cycle. Just be able to answer the typical "why medicine, why DO, why our school". The vast majority of people don't apply DO as their first choice.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll be fine. If anything the whole Canadian thing will be the biggest hindrance..I mean a leaf on a flag? Cmon!! :shifty:

You'll be fine. If anything the whole Canadian thing will be the biggest hindrance..I mean a leaf on a flag? Cmon!! :shifty:
Well the horizontal stripes are not really a good T-shirt pic for the average US BMI so....I'd take the leaf:kiss:.

We ALL know that we're your second choice. We don't take it personally.

hi,

So I'm gearing up for a new cycle and I'll be applying to DO for the very first time. I never applied to DO before because it's hard to practice in Canada as a DO and my family is in Canada, but my parents recently agreed to move to the US with me if I need to practice there, so now I'm good on DO. I'm worried that DO schools will see from my apps that DO schools are my second choice after MDs and reject me on that. They will know this because 1) I had a very high MCAT score expire before this cycle, because I was only applying to MD before this cycle. 2) I took additional classes to boost my GPA, but never repeated any class, so I can't do grade replacement. Had I just repeated the classes, I could have saved 2 years. 3) I live in Canada but lived very close to the US for a couple of years, and yet I never crossed the border to shadow a DO.

So, I'm applying to DO this cycle and will go if they take me while no MD school does, but do you think it'll be a problem considering the above?

Reactions: 2 users
My guess is that very few go DO as their genuine first choice. If they rejected everyone who tried MD first, at the same time, or otherwise decided they didn't stand much chance, they would have a tough time filling their classes. Applying DO and not giving up on going to school in the U.S. shows a hell of a lot more desire to be a practicing doctor than the ego-centrics who flee for the refuge of the Caribbean.

I assume other schools are more receptive, but we don't have a single Canadian student in our class of ~150; here that would be a much bigger issue than being second choice (honestly it would be a red flag if someone was so uninformed that they ranked DO schools ahead of MD).

As a side note, I'm one of the rare ones that chose a DO school over an MD acceptance (for location/family reasons), and I thought I would easily be one of the top students based on my MCAT vs our class average. Not the case -- we have some incredibly gifted students that would be in the top 5% at any MD school.

happy canada day btw

Reactions: 1 users