is it ok to call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, I have not heard anything from some schools that i'm applying to, so is it worth calling the admission com office? I'm afraid that they don't like ppl callling them .. what do you guys think?
and also, i know some schools have the webtools where i can check my status, but it has been under review for a long time...*frustrated* what should i do? should i just call and ask my status??
thanks for all the help

Members don't see this ad.

sure, call them up. it can't hurt as long as you're polite. good luck.

I've called several school more than once - I don't see any harm in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i actually did call before, but they always said oh, yoyr application is complete and under review or i can't tell your status over the phone... that's all i got. Any suggestion how i should address the questions so i can get more information??
thanks!

i actually did call before, but they always said oh, yoyr application is complete and under review or i can't tell your status over the phone... that's all i got. Any suggestion how i should address the questions so i can get more information??
thanks!

Dont worry. secretaries dont make decision on you.

Dont worry. secretaries dont make decision on you.

Uh, careful with that one. Most admissions offices are small and--believe me--if you are a jerk to receptionists/secretaries and they tell the director of admissions whose office is two doors down the hall, you're done. There's a reason receptionists are often called "directors of first impressions."

That being said, feel free to ask several questions and get the person on the phone to do the talking. It definitely doesn't hurt that you are interested in the school and following up on your application. Some ideas:

-How much longer are you doing interviews?
-When should I expect to hear back?
-How will I hear (mail, phone, email, etc.)?
-Do you send out your letters in waves? (this is a good one because you might get a sense by following sdn if other people in your "group" are hearing back)

Bottom line: don't be too shy, you might get some useful info over the phone.