Is it ok to have multiple non-continuous research experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glass-animal

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be staying at my university over the summer to take some classes and an opportunity has arisen to work in an insect lab. The PI said co-authorship is a possibility as well. However, I'm worried that this research has nothing to do with medicine or my interests/major/"narrative", and I probably won't continue it after the summer. Is this okay or will it look bad if I stay in the lab just for the summer and switch to another lab come fall?

Members don't see this ad.

it wont matter
It won't matter is in it won't matter that I did research not related to medicine/my interests and will still be a positive, or it won't matter as in I shouldn't bother with the research since it won't make a difference on my app?

Probably both lol

It doesn't matter what you do, as long as it's research...

but if you're not interested in it at all that'll clearly show in the quality of whatever you do with it

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't matter is in it won't matter that I did research not related to medicine/my interests and will still be a positive, or it won't matter as in I shouldn't bother with the research since it won't make a difference on my app?

Summer research is fine (and it's common). Doing research outside of medicine is also fine. What matters is you can describe your experiences well in secondaries and interviews when asked.

As an incoming MDPhD student whose undergrad work was mostly in algae and biofuels, yeah you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user