Is it ok to mention the name of another school in your LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunsweet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
say if you're writing a letter of interest pre-interview, is it ok to say that you've interviewed at a lot of good schools, like XX, but you're still very interested in Y because of ---? or if you're writing a letter of intent, say the same thing but then say that your experience at this particular school was the best? so my first question is whether this is "acceptable" or considered bad practice, and my second more paranoid question is whether word will get around to the school you mention and hurt your chances there. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sunsweet said:
say if you're writing a letter of interest pre-interview, is it ok to say that you've interviewed at a lot of good schools, like XX, but you're still very interested in Y because of ---?

No.

ditto. don't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Say school A is your absolute top choice and you got into schools B, C and D. Can you write an LOI to school A saying that you are willing to forego the acceptances at schools B, C and D (which I plan to mention by name) for school A?

I don't see the upside, they're not going to accept you b/c you are willing to turn down b,c,d. If you feel that mentioning that you have already been accepted generally speaking, w/o names, fits with whatever you are writing, then that might be ok, imo. But I would speak to it very generally if you want to use mention to build more of a case for your enthusiasm.

NYCDesi said:
Say school A is your absolute top choice and you got into schools B, C and D. Can you write an LOI to school A saying that you are willing to forego the acceptances at schools B, C and D (which I plan to mention by name) for school A?

No! It's just name-dropping, and reviewers know it.

When you ask out a girl, its always a good idea to mention that you've dated hotter girls than her, just so she knows that for some reason you still like her more.

-Casanova

medstyle said:
When you ask out a girl, its always a good idea to mention that you've dated hotter girls than her, just so she knows that for some reason you still like her more.

-Casanova

Haha...good analogy

medstyle said:

-Casanova

haha :thumbup:

and to answer the op's question, no, i wouldn't do it.

ok, point taken. thanks everyone!

Haybrant said:
are you sending the LOI to the dean or to the adcom/your file?

I think I'm going to say dear [admissions dean] and members of adcom. I've read on sdn pros and cons for writing to the dean and for writing to the adcom, so I figured I might as well just put both. any thoughts?

NYCDesi said:
this sounds okay to me. it emphasizes your interest in school A.