is it ok to miss medsch orientation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moviefreak

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i haven't been accepted anywhere. waitlisted at one, just finished a couple of interviews and still have a couple more to attend w/c means its hard to make plans for a summer break. i really want to take a break whether or not i get into medsch. but it's silly if the price of such a vacation would cost an admission.

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of whether or not you CAN miss orientation, I don't think you'd want to. You'd probably feel lost the rest of the year.

As far as I know, orientation is mandatory at most schools.

DALA

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to the standard "get to know your class" stuff and intro to the school, some (if not many or most) schools will also include safety information sessions (including stuff required by OSHA) which you will be required to attend.

Orientation is mandatory at almost every school. Probably every school, but I haven't done a formal survey.

Nobody needs a 3 month vacation; just make sure you're back by the end of July.

bummer...i finished school dec, started working right away. my break will be the last 2 wks of july to give time to look for and train my replacement. my concern is for some schools that have activities by july, which means i can't really go off buying tour packages/plane tickets..argghh i haven't had a nice real break for 4 yrs...

Orientation was a blast (one social event after another). You don't want to miss it, if it is anything like mine was. We still talk about some of the funny stuff that happened then. It's also a good way to start off the school year. Our orientation is organized by the second year med students (for the most part). Who better to set it up than a bunch of people who know exactly how hard the rest of the year is going to be? "Here's some money. Show these freshmen a good time. Be as crazy as you want to be." Sounds like a plan to me!

if u miss it they use u to do the rectal exams for other 3rd years. seriously.