Quantcast

Is it ok to re-take prereqs after you apply?

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baller Status

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am planning to apply for fall 2010 and i would be filling my apps at the start of next summer. In that summer i am also planning to re-take my prereqs and i wont the marks until the third week of aug. So is this ok and would this affect my application or should i try to take it before i start applying cuz as fa as i know when the primaries are sent out...you have to send ur mcat, gpa and personal statments. Also i am also planning to take my sec try at mcat in next aug so would that affect my app too? any help would be great.

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any classes you take that aren't on the transcript you send in with your primary will not be considered.

I don't know what your first MCAT score was, so I can't comment on the second question. But the AMCAS application requires you to check off whether you plan to retake the MCAT, and many schools will hold your application until the score is back. So if you need to retake it due to a low score, maybe you should consider taking it earlier.

Is English Composition one of the classes you'll be retaking?

Baller Status

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
oh i thought that for most of the US schools, you have an option of completing the pre reqs before matriculation. well i am planning to apply next summer and st that point of time i would be done with my third year so i plan to complete my honours before i go for med school and for the mcat i will be going for my first try in this aug n then if i feel i need to retake it, then i might do it next summer or fall but yeah i also plan to take english in my 4th year and thats not retake... my retake courses include couple of first years sciences that i bombed. any word on this situation and according to what you said ....does it mean that US med schools dont consider the last years grades???

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
oh i thought that for most of the US schools, you have an option of completing the pre reqs before matriculation. well i am planning to apply next summer and st that point of time i would be done with my third year so i plan to complete my honours before i go for med school and for the mcat i will be going for my first try in this aug n then if i feel i need to retake it, then i might do it next summer or fall but yeah i also plan to take english in my 4th year and thats not retake... my retake courses include couple of first years sciences that i bombed. any word on this situation and according to what you said ....does it mean that US med schools dont consider the last years grades???

Yes, you have the option of completing prerequisites before matriculation, but after you send in the primary to AMCAS.

I see that on a previous post you stated you had an MCAT of 30 O and a GPA of 3.0.

US med school admission committees don't consider any course you take after the primary is certified. You will fill in future courses you plan to take on the application. You have to submit a final transcript before matriculation, however, if you are accepted. Med schools require that your grades not drop precipitously, and they can rescind your acceptance if you don't meet their standards. Considering the low GPA that you previously stated, perhaps you should consider delaying your application another year so that all your grades will be figured in (presuming that you will get nearly straight As).

Perhaps you might practice proofreading your posts to make them easier to read. English may be your second language, but you are still required to get a good score on the MCAT writing section, where you will have no spell checker and no reminder about correct punctuation.

Baller Status

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Is it possible to send the primaries around the second or third week of August? My questions might sound a bit basic because i am not familiar with the application process to US schools. Also when schools state that they require X numbers of credit hours of biology, would my second year biology marks count for that or do they have to be first year biology marks?
If i plan to fulfill the requirement for English by taking it in 4th year, how would that work out?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Is it possible to send the primaries around the second or third week of August? My questions might sound a bit basic because i am not familiar with the application process to US schools. Also when schools state that they require X numbers of credit hours of biology, would my second year biology marks count for that or do they have to be first year biology marks?

With a lowish GPA (even after the prereqs) you aren't going to help yourself by being a later applicant in this coming cycle. You are better off finishing the prereqs, maybe another course or two to push that GPA as high as it goes, and make sure everything else is in place (ECs, LORs, strong essays) and then apply in the following cycle. Schools are going to focus on your prereqs, and if you did poorly in them (assumed based on your retaking them), you really need to have the retake scores seen.

I also probably wouldn't retake the MCAT with a 30 until you get that GPA up to a competitive level. It's not going to make a big difference, and honestly if you did poorly on the prereqs and then snagged a 30, you are already above expectations. Unless you are scoring better than a 33 consistently on multiple full length practice tests I wouldn't risk having an off day and replacing your 30 with a 28.