Is it OK to say you're accepted elsewhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an interviewer asks you the "if you don't get accepted, then what" question, is it OK to disclose that actually, you have been acccepted somewhere (of course followed by a well thought out hypothetical statement about what you would do if you couldn't practice medicine.) Is there any reason to think it's better if the adcom does/doesn't know you're accepted at other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

This has been asked before.

You have to look at the spirit of the question, not the question itself. They're basically assessing your commitment to medicine. Just say that you would consult with your premed advisors (if you had any) and contact adcoms of the schools who rejected you to find out what you could improve in your app and reapply with those improvements.

If an interviewer asks you the "if you don't get accepted, then what" question, is it OK to disclose that actually, you have been acccepted somewhere (of course followed by a well thought out hypothetical statement about what you would do if you couldn't practice medicine.) Is there any reason to think it's better if the adcom does/doesn't know you're accepted at other schools?

Personally, I would say that, while I was fortunate to already hold an acceptance at X school, if I were not able to pursue medicine... And then explain my backup.

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually get asked the 'what if you can never get accepted anywhere' variation of this question. In either case, I never let it drop that I already have an acceptance, since it is irrelevant to the question being asked.

i always answer with apply again, try and determine what my problem areas were and address those. i also include the fact that i might want to try getting involved with clinical research and see if i like that, because i have been only exposed to bench research.

in those cases where they say if you couldnt' be a doctor ever. i would answer with nurse, teacher or interior designer :p depending on what aspect of my application i wanted to take the interviewer. all of those careers are ones i have thought about, so no i am not lying.

You're dodging the point of the question by saying you already got accepted to another school. You also run the risk of sounding pompous despite how true it might be.

I would just answer the question leaving out that bolded detail. Can't see how that would help you in the answer.

Agreed. Just leave out that you already have an acceptance.

You're dodging the point of the question by saying you already got accepted to another school. You also run the risk of sounding pompous despite how true it might be.

You're also telling the truth. During my cycle I just told interviewers what schools i interviewed/was accepted at. A school knowing you have options can only be a plus.

I've been curious about something related to this for the past couple of weeks. Does anyone know or has anyone asked a school if they take your status at other schools into consideration?