Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Is it OK to send a thank you note afer inteview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by vondy60, Mar 29, 2004.

1. vondy60

vondy60 Member
    7+ Year Member

After you interview is it appropriate to send a thank you letter or email thanking the admission committee for the interview?

Also, should it go to the dean of admissions or to each individual person on the admission's committee?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dprice121

dprice121 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It's definitely appropriate. In fact, at one particular dental school I interviewed it, I was specifically told that I should send a thank-you card to the lady who scheduled my interview and organized the day for us.

It definitely won't hurt, so if anything it will only help your chances.

If you're going to send a thank-you note, I would send one to anyone that had a part in your day at the school. It should be sincere, so don't just send one to those who have a direct influence over your acceptance.

4. SillyRabbit

SillyRabbit Trix R 4 Kidz
    10+ Year Member

Of course it is appropriate. It's a nice gesture and actually I'd recommend sending a thank you note. If you have the email of both, why not email both? It shows them that you're interested and professional.

5. aileen

aileen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You should definitely send a thank you note. In fact, I think I got into the school of my 1st choice by doing so (at least, it helped alot). I wrote to both the interviewer and the committee chair person saying that the school was my 1st choice and I needed to know if I was accepted before I make any further decisions as to which school to send the deposit to. The chair person of the committee sent an e-mail saying that they welcomed me to the school.

6. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Agreed. A thank-you note is indicated after a business interview, and that's what an admissions interview should be considered. Plus, it's just the classy thing to do. :D

7. pktchris

pktchris Member
    7+ Year Member

I sent a thank- you note directly to the individual who interviewed me at all 6 schools. There's no way to tell if it helped or not, but it's a very courteous thing to do, and if it came down to two identical applicants and one sent a thank-you where the other one didn't........

8. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist

absolutely NOT. god forbid, that might make you look good.:rolleyes:

9. Nilez

Nilez Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    you seem a little cocky ever since ur acceptance eh PERFECT

...thought it was a good question...some might think its a little corny to do that..or its going a little overboard....obviously its helping

10. Henna

I think its a must, also adding a fews words on what you disscussed/( or were impressed about ) in the interview helps, it'll kind of refresh their memory as to who exactly you are.

Henna

11. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Aileen,

Could please check your messages? I sent you a PM. Just click on the "User CP" near the top of the page. Thanks!

I wish this board had a "message waiting" indicator.

12. aphistis

It does. Go to your profile -> Edit Options -> "pop up a box for unread private messages" or something like that.

13. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks!

14. lmfife

lmfife Junior Member

sounds tacky, maybe too much butt kissing factor. If you've been accepted to the school already- good idea. If you haven't been accepted yet- butt kissing.

15. vondy60

vondy60 Member
    7+ Year Member

Well I guess it can't hurt; I just got accepted to LSU Dental School.

16. jes1ca

jes1ca OP Resident
    7+ Year Member

I think it's a good idea; however, the only school that I was rejected from post-interview was the one where I DID send a thank you note. Weird.

Jessica

17. swisschez2000

swisschez2000 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

How about some snowman poop for them for x-mas???

18. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist

whats cocky about that?

not to upset anyone, i really think that sending a thank you note is a common sense thingy.

as far is me changing after my acceptance, well, good observation. i am sure many of us have felt differently after that. as for me, seriously i am not feeling cocky, fired up or anything yet. i still stress out since i have to finish this anatomy class (btw i did really well on my 1st midterm). i think that come end of May is when i'll fell out of this world when i am on my way to seeing Aphistis i mean IUSD.:D

19. I think a thank-you note is a MUST. Its importance is doubled if you interviewed anywhere in the South. People like to know that their time and consideration is appreciated.
    I recommend sending it to the dean of admissions, and include a line such as, "Please also send my warmest regards to the rest of the committee." It is not butt kissing to show your appreciation to the committee for considering your application. Good luck!

20. Vuse

Vuse Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sending a thank you letter has no bearing on the admission committee decision to accept or reject an applicant. If you really wish to thank the interview for the interview then a thank you letter is great. But sending a thank you letter in hopes that it will increase your chances of acceptance is a waste of $0.99 card + $.32 postage.

21. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

IMO, sending thank you notes is a good practice to continue for the rest of your life.

22. aphistis

$.37, you mean. Have you encountered trouble getting letters mailed these last couple years? ;)

23. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sending a thank you note is something that is pretty much standard practice in the business world. I wasn't too sure on how it was perceived in the academic world until reading this thread.

It shows a sense of professionalism and it actually does keep you on the mind of the interviewer more. If an interviewer talked to 4 people one day they will remember the person who sent the card a little better. Sometimes they will even look over your file again just to connect the card to a file and remember a little about your application.

At many schools, the interviewer basically serves as your advocate during the process, and it doesn't hurt that they have a good opinion of you.

On the other hand if your stats don't pass muster or they have some other problem with your application, you won't get in even if you send them a Godiva 4lb Signature Ballotine along with the thank you note.

24. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh, I don't know...a 4lb Signature Godiva Box goes a long ways :)