Is it ok to take classes at a community college while attending a university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auron

Cruisin' the Cosmos
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently enrolled in a university completing the pre-reqs and was wondering if it would be ok to take some science classes (that are not pre-reqs like microbio, astronomy, ecology etc) at a community college to raise my gpa in the summer?

I would do it at my university except that it's ridiculously expensive in the summer ($700 per credit hour, whereas my community college charges $100 per credit hour) BIG difference, especially as I want to take 8 hrs of science over the summer: $5600 at my uni or $800 at the community college. I can't justify spending that much extra for my university. I'm trying to save money to use for when I apply.

I will be completing all my pre-reqs (chem, physics etc) at my university and will continue to take 300-level bio classes at my university. This community college is said to be the best in the country and from what I hear will not be "easy". Do you think adcoms will care even though I will continue to take upper level classes to show that I am capable of doing well in these classes at my university?

What do you think? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently enrolled in a university completing the pre-reqs and was wondering if it would be ok to take some science classes (that are not pre-reqs like microbio, astronomy, ecology etc) at a community college to raise my gpa in the summer?

I would do it at my university except that it's ridiculously expensive in the summer ($700 per credit hour, whereas my community college charges $100 per credit hour) BIG difference, especially as I want to take 8 hrs of science over the summer: $5600 at my uni or $800 at the community college. I can't justify spending that much extra for my university. I'm trying to save money to use for when I apply.

I will be completing all my pre-reqs (chem, physics etc) at my university and will continue to take 300-level bio classes at my university. This community college is said to be the best in the country and from what I hear will not be "easy". Do you think adcoms will care even though I will continue to take upper level classes to show that I am capable of doing well in these classes at my university?

What do you think? Advice?

If you are taking the classes to get rid of pesky prereqs, that's fine. If you are taking them to inflate your GPA, I think ad coms can see it for what it is.

Do you think adcoms will care even though I will continue to take upper level classes to show that I am capable of doing well in these classes at my university?

I don't think adcomms will care if you take non-prerequisites at a community college over the summer. Go for it. Cost consiousness is a good quality. Taking some classes for fun and exploration of other interests is also good. Boosting your GPA is a necessary strategic move.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you taking those science classes?

To prove to adcoms that you can handle them? (CC credits won't prove this)
To better your own knowledge/understanding? (CC credits are not a great way to do this though learning probably does occur at some point)

Seems like a waste of time to me. Now if they were humanities electives or something totally unrelated to medicine that were required for your major, then by all means go ahead. But not much good can come from CC credits in terms of med schools. imho.

To better your own knowledge/understanding? (CC credits are not a great way to do this though learning probably does occur at some point)

Seems like a waste of time to me. Now if they were humanities electives or something totally unrelated to medicine that were required for your major, then by all means go ahead. But not much good can come from CC credits in terms of med schools. imho.

You are clueless.

Last edited:
I don't know why all of you seem to think that the adcomms will care even if the classes ARE pre-reqs and taken at a community college. If they can transfer over the the hosting college, then they'll be fine.

Most of my pre-reqs were done at a community college, and so far, I haven't gotten a single question about it. A credit is a credit. If you completed the coursework and were able to prove that the class was worth it's weight by doing well on the MCAT, then there should be no problems.

I don't know why all of you seem to think that the adcomms will care even if the classes ARE pre-reqs and taken at a community college. If they can transfer over the the hosting college, then they'll be fine.

Most of my pre-reqs were done at a community college, and so far, I haven't gotten a single question about it. A credit is a credit. If you completed the coursework and were able to prove that the class was worth it's weight by doing well on the MCAT, then there should be no problems.

Um, no. Certain classes carry more weight at non-community colleges. You'd have to be insanely naive to think differently. Sure, you could get a 45 MCAT and throw that arguement out, but that's an extreme.

I'm taking them for a couple of reasons:

1.) To raise my science gpa to a competitive level by the time I apply my senior year.

2.) I need to take 2 more 200 level science classes for my major and It'd be great to get them done this summer, and would allow me to take more interesting classes my senior year.

I sat down and calculated the number of credits and A's I need and found that if I took these classes it'll make me more competitive number wise. If I don't do this, my gpa will not be where I want it to be and I'll likely have more trouble in the appliction process. I'd rather take classes during the summer rather then delay graduation and stay back another semester at my uni. I will still take the maximum number of hours (18) at my uni so I can get my gpa is high as absolutely possible by the time I apply, which should be competitive (3.5) This way I save time and money.

1.) To raise my science gpa to a competitive level by the time I apply my senior year.

2.) I need to take 2 more 200 level science classes for my major and It'd be great to get them done this summer, and would allow me to take more interesting classes my senior year.

OK, thanks for clarifying. 1. Don't you think adcoms will take into account that your science GPA was "boosted" by these CC credits? They aren't dumb. 2. Seems like a fine reason to me.

I just wouldn't count on the CC credits to make you look better.

OK, thanks for clarifying. 1. Don't you think adcoms will take into account that your science GPA was "boosted" by these CC credits? They aren't dumb. 2. Seems like a fine reason to me.

I just wouldn't count on the CC credits to make you look better.

My hope is that by continuing to take upper level bio classes (immunology, cell bio etc) at my university I am demonstrating that I'm capable of doing this coursework succesfully, and that I didn't take courses at a CC as an easy out.

Taking classes at a CC while in a university raises some red flags. Did the student take them because they are easier? Unfortunately, most people won't get a chance to defend themselves on this point and it will be marked as a negative. Sorry, but that's how most med schools will see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking classes at a CC while in a university raises some red flags. Did the student take them because they are easier? Unfortunately, most people won't get a chance to defend themselves on this point and it will be marked as a negative. Sorry, but that's how most med schools will see it.

What if you took non-science classes, is it still looked down upon?

This sucks...:(

Maybe I should call my state med school and ask what they think?....

I just want to go to UIC (my state school) Maybe I should call them and ask what they think?....

Non-science classes can still be misinterpreted as boosting your GPA, but I don't think it matters as much as taking pre-reqs.

I just want to go to UIC (my state school) Maybe I should call them and ask what they think?....

Take RealMD's advice. Going to a CC while enrolled in a university will only hurt your med school application. Admissions committees have seen everything applicants have done to gain an advantage, and they will immediately see your CC credits as trying to get an easy GPA boost.

However, if you have a problem with paying for classes, and CC classes are cheaper, maybe you can explain this in your Personal Statement. But admissions committees will be suspect of your application if the only classes you took at a CC were science courses that should be taken at a university.

Even though there really is no disadvantage to attending a CC for your first 2 years, you are hurting your application by attending a CC while enrolled at a university.h

any other thoughts?

I'm not sure what else to do...and I have to register next week for fall so I need to figure out what I'm going to do this summer concerning classes. I refuse to pay over 5k for two classes...

I'd call your state school and ask them. In my opinion, it's fine to take a few classes for a major at a CC. Maybe you could do those at the CC and take a science class that your main university offers in the summer? That way it's pretty obvious that you want to learn the science well but that you were trying to save money.

there is a great professor of physics that I know at a Cc. I gurarantee you would run away from his class and go begging back to you nice state school. it is not the location of the class, the the professor teaching it. There are hard teachers everywhere and easy teachers everywhere. There is no way to prove how students stack up in science classes except the MCAT.

Early in my premed career, my premed advisors made a point of stressing that taking classes at a community college, or even taking them at a much easier four-year university, especially prereqs, CAN be construed as looking for an easy way out.

If you think these classes can be fun and will get requirements for your major out of the way, take them. But a lot of adcoms might just see them as not really counting...I would make sure my GPA was satisfactory without those grades.

Early in my premed career, my premed advisors made a point of stressing that taking classes at a community college, or even taking them at a much easier four-year university, especially prereqs, CAN be construed as looking for an easy way out.

If you think these classes can be fun and will get requirements for your major out of the way, take them. But a lot of adcoms might just see them as not really counting...I would make sure my GPA was satisfactory without those grades.

Well I'd love to take physics at the CC..but I know that physics will be tough for me in such a short amount of time. My major requires that I take an intro level biochem class, and I'm now thinking of taking this during the summer to get it out of the way.

I have to register tomorrow and I'm still unsure.....

use the search feature, i'm pretty sure this question has been raised multiple times in the last couple minutes (sarcasm, but I think you'll find a lot of answers to your question)

I am also taking CC credits and will graduate next year with a AS biology degree and I am afraid sometimes to think that I am making a mistake taking must to all my prereqs at CC. I still have one year left with 3 prereqs left and the other few just degree requirements. I think I am saving myself a lot of money and I have a few friends that go to public universities and still take CC credits and say our classes are a lot tougher. It is true that there are just hard teachers and good teachers everywhere.

Should I really skip the AS which can lead me to 1. better job doing something with it maybe 2. its what I can afford 3. I started lower in math and had catching up to do before calc and 4. spend the real big money by getting your moneys wroth and transferring to third year and take upper level bio classes
I also know that I am approaching that too many credits and CC, but I am taking them to stay full time and just because I am interested. Also decided ed to take physics at university XYZ I don't know where I want to go yet

Keep in mind that
  1. You'll need to have the CC send a transcript when you do your AAMCAS application (even if you transfer them, you still have to send a transcript from the place you originally took the classes)
  2. Be careful if they are major requirements. At most schools, you have to take your last 30 or so credits at the school before graduating (ie. you can't transfer credits after a certain point)

Do you think it would be appropriate to see from what I have done this far how many classes will transfer. I just hope I can at least get my Gen-Chem 1 and 2, bio 1 and 2, calculus 1, O-chem 1 and 2, both humanities, 2 social science classes and 6 creds of my eng classes to all transfer. All of these are pre-med pre-reqs and I just would hate to take them over again especially the ones where I did very well in.
I am going college/university shopping over the summer so I can apply in the winter for next fall. I guess I should start looking into now before I take Organ chem and realize it won't transfer into a bac program!?

The other extra stuff like Anatomy-physio 1 and 2, ecology and marine bio, medical terminology, health science, computer programing, pre calc, algebra and Trig and anything else I can't think of that I took I don't care if they transfer, its I took them because they were part of the AS degree and or for fun (who would take classes they didn't need to, me b/c I am crazy)

THANKS tardyturtle for the advice and reply

I love how no one mentioned that you might fail miserably in this class and jeopardize your gpa.

Your premed advisors might say some things, but some of us don't even have premed advisors and we seem to fare just as well as those that who have them.

I have a small feeling that this thread is completely pointless.

I am also taking CC credits and will graduate next year with a AS biology degree and I am afraid sometimes to think that I am making a mistake taking must to all my prereqs at CC. I still have one year left with 3 prereqs left and the other few just degree requirements. I think I am saving myself a lot of money and I have a few friends that go to public universities and still take CC credits and say our classes are a lot tougher. It is true that there are just hard teachers and good teachers everywhere.

Should I really skip the AS which can lead me to 1. better job doing something with it maybe 2. its what I can afford 3. I started lower in math and had catching up to do before calc and 4. spend the real big money by getting your moneys wroth and transferring to third year and take upper level bio classes
I also know that I am approaching that too many credits and CC, but I am taking them to stay full time and just because I am interested. Also decided ed to take physics at university XYZ I don't know where I want to go yet

Don't be intimidated, complete your AS and transfer. As far as teachers, they will vary where ever you go, and classes may be huge with 250+ per section. Also, in some courses at a university you may never meet your professor and are only taught by a grad student TA. So you will definitely become more independent/self-sufficient in your studies than you probably were at a CC.

Anyways, take your physics requirements at a university and since you did Orgo at a CC, take an upper division chemistry like Biochem, Analytical, or Physical chem. Keep in mind that many professional programs are now requiring Biochem as a pre-req so take your time and try to get the best grade possible, since this will show that you are capable at all educational levels. Most schools really don't care where you did your math or english requirements so don't worry too much about those.

I love how no one mentioned that you might fail miserably in this class and jeopardize your gpa.

Your premed advisors might say some things, but some of us don't even have premed advisors and we seem to fare just as well as those that who have them.

I have a small feeling that this thread is completely pointless.

I just spoke to 2 adcoms - one told me they would be viewed as cheap A's and the other told me that med schools prefer not too see any science coursework done at a CC, but 1 or 2 classes is ok as long as you explain yourself and have a strong mcat. I could just take this class in the fall but I fear that my class load will be too much. I'd rather not take the risk of taking too much and doing bad...

I guess its worth asking, has anyone here taken a class at a CC while enrolled in a university? And if you've applied to med schools, how did it go?

ufgrad00,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement since I feel discouraged from other people and rethink to myself if this is the worse decision ever. That is a really good idea to maybe think about taking a science almost equivalent to organ chem b/c it will show I CAN do the work. Just hope everything works out in the end and I pick a school where it will fit me to complete everything.

You mentioned that going to bigger schools you will never be noticed..I thought about wanting to got to Rutgers NewBrunswick in NJ b/c they have almost as many science majors as Cornell and the research is fantastic at Rutgers with wide diversity, but then I talk to people well I meant this guy at the library the other day and he is an organic chemist at university of Pennsylvania and he knows even the people that review and make the MCAT test...
He told me that if you want a better chance at medical school you should go to a place where they have a university that has a medical school. Does this hold true? What are the real statics of people who apply from the university and get into the medical school of the same name? Is it easier to get in assuming you have the req MCAT, GPA and good ec..???