1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is it ok to take o-chem during your junior yr? Will I still be prepared for the

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by alexfoleyc, Dec 17, 2008.

1. alexfoleyc

alexfoleyc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Will I still be prepared for the mcat? Due to a lot of schedule conflicts, I wasnt able to take chem 101 and 102 this yr. Im a freshie. Well, I will be doing these over the summer, but I realize that we register in April for fall classes for next yr. Since, chem 101 and 102 are prereqs for o-chem, I cant take o-chem in my soph yr; this is assuming that the o-chem classes fill up, which they probably will. So I plan to take chem 101/102 during the summer, take physics in my soph yr, and take o-chem in my junior yr. Will this work out? Did any of you guys ever take this path? More importantly, will I be prepared for the MCAT? According to my pre-health advisor, the advance orgo (second semester) concepts arent really covered on the mcat, similarly with second semester of physics.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. saqrfaraj

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It's fine to take organic chemistry during your junior year. If you're like most applicants who take the MCAT during the spring, you'll have most, if not all, of it finished by the time you take the test.

I took organic chem as a junior and had no problems at all.

4. Hyperstudyosis

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I'm doing physics and ochem this year and I'm a junior. I'm planning to take the MCAT in May. I actually think this will be better for me because both ochem and physics will be much more fresh on my mind and I think it will be easier for me to study for the MCAT. I know of other people who are also doing this, so I don't think it's a problem.

5. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    7+ Year Member

What's really interesting is that you don't have to take the MCAT your junior year, nor do you have to apply your senior year. If it bugs you that much, though, the MCAT has a very broad and easy focus on the topics for organic chemistry so it should actually work to your advantage taking it your junior year since you'll have most of the information down when you begin reviewing/studying for the MCAT.

6. scott8013

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah thats pretty much how I did it, I think there are some def. advantages to taking the MCAT right after or during the thick of OChem, in my opinion the amount of OChem needed for the MCAT was so much lighter than needed for class that I didn't even consider studying it and just focused on other parts. But had I waited until a year or two after taking it, I would have needed some serious review time.