Is it ok to take the shortened MCAT and apply next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phile98

perpetually worried about the road not taken...
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m applying next cycle (2021-2022), but I was going to take the MCAT in August this year anyway. Is it ok to take the shortened MCAT? Will it still hold the same value? I’m not trying to look like I’m taking advantage of the situation...

Members don't see this ad.

I’m applying next cycle (2021-2022), but I was going to take the MCAT in August this year anyway. Is it ok to take the shortened MCAT? Will it still hold the same value? I’m not trying to look like I’m taking advantage of the situation...
MCAT is MCAT. I’m pretty sure your performance is compared to other students anyway so your score is determined in relation to others’ score (I think it’s a little more complicated than that but that seems to essentially be the case). So just take it when you’re ready. I don’t think they care. Also, it takes 3+ months of studying for some students so it would be a little silly to them to say, “we want you to prolong this process.”

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely. The test is engineered to be comparable to all other tests, including those administered from January-March this year. If you are ready to take the test, go for it. Around 80,000 people are currently registered to take it, and they are not all going to be applying this year.

Last edited:
Adcoms won't care. It's a standardized, well vetted exam.