Is it OK to use Step1 Review Books from before 2010?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doggo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How far back do you guys think is too old for a USMLE Step 1 review book? Has Step 1 changed a lot since 2005?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that's way too old. If money is an issue, you could get by with stuff from around 2014. I know a bunch of stuff that is 2016 editions are going on sale because I think FA 2018 will be out soon.

You can get First Aid 2017 for $30... there will absolutely be a lot of stuff left out if you use texts that are 5+ years old.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just saw that the library had tons of old stuff, so I was debating whether or not to check some of it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw that the library had tons of old stuff, so I was debating whether or not to check some of it out.

Oh okay gotcha. Well, in my opinion you only need two textbook resources (FA and Pathoma). I think it's easy to get lost and waste time with extra resources. Obviously if you have a very poor foundation then you might need some more help.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My medical school library also has older editions of classic texts and I asked myself the same question. So I viewed them. I found the ones that were >4+ years were dubious bc the content failed to reflect current diagnostic, treatment and/or evidence based data, e.g. genetics, ID, endoc, pharma.

Check the library books then View the most current editions online from your SOM campus internet system and get access to the publishers. That should help you answer your question

You're probably fine with some small review books on low yield subjects. But on important subjects or with a major text like First Aid? Hell no. FA 2010 is like a children's coloring book compared to the newer versions.

I realized some of the High Yield books are really old (like Behavioral and Microbio). Are they worth studying from?