Is it okay if I drop this class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinacol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know there are a lot of questions like these, but at least the ones I read weren't quiet in a similar situation. I am in the fall of my senior year of undergrad and I am signed up for two biology courses (one 200, one 300). I am also working in a lab for credit (which shows up as a 400 level). I'm also in psychology 100, which I thought would be something nice to have on my transcript because the MCAT is starting to focus on psychology.But after going to the first two days of class, it looks like a ton of busywork for freshman, and I'm not sure that I have that much time to waste (because of ECs and what-not). However, if I drop the psych class, my credit load will look really low (13 credits) as opposed to the 17 credits that I am signed up for now.

How would that lower credit value look to medical schools? Would it look like I was trying to take an easy senior year (even if it is only psych 100 that I'm dropping)? Or do the course levels of the other classes make the year seem difficult enough, as I know it will be?

In case this matters, here are the number of credits I took for the rest of my time in college:
Fall freshman: 18
Spring freshman: 18
Fall Sophomore: 17
Spring Sophomore: 18
Fall Junior: 18
Spring Junior: 14 (I only took three classes because I was studying for the MCAT).

Thanks for any advice! I know it is my decision in the end, but I would appreciate some words of wisdom!

Members don't see this ad.

How would that lower credit value look to medical schools?

Highly doubt anyone would notice, and if they did I doubt they would care. I had a withdrawal and took classes P/F and it was never brought up once in 10+ interviews.

Would it look like I was trying to take an easy senior year (even if it is only psych 100 that I'm dropping)?

Maybe, but it's still technically full-time. Maybe predict a question like, "Why are you only taking 13 credits [this/that] semester?" and answer with something better than "It was too hard otherwise."

Or do the course levels of the other classes make the year seem difficult enough, as I know it will be?

Course levels have no correlation to difficulty. But regardless, the chance of an admissions committee scouring through your primary course lists and analyzing them if you have a strong academic record and good MCAT is highly unlikely.

No one would notice