Is it okay to address multiple topics within the diversity essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted884453

I know it's a little late to be filling out secondaries, but in any case, here I am.

Almost every school I applied to wants an essay about diversity within the secondary, so I'm working on drafting a general one. Is it okay for my essay to span multiple topics, since I am among several groups that would be considered minorities or traditionally disadvantaged (i.e. gay and a first generation American and other things). I will of course tie these together and relate them to how my experiences with them have made me a better doctor, but is it okay to span different topics within the essay? Will it seem like I'm cramming too many things in or overemphasizing that my background is disadvantaged? Should I just pick one thing to write about? Some of them want 4000 words so I have some room to elaborate, but I don't want to overdo it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Only if you can do it well.

They aren't checking boxes of disadvantages you've worked through, and the person with the most gets in. What are you telling them about yourself? If you are only hoping they learn about those disadvantages, you're doing it wrong. They aren't anything you did--it needs to be how you handled it. It should be a positive story, in the end. If it helps you get a point across about your character, go for it. If you spend too much time on it and don't get to the point about your character, drop it.

There's nothing worse than an essay that's all over the place and can't focus on one thing. Pick one or two.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it's a little late to be filling out secondaries, but in any case, here I am.

Almost every school I applied to wants an essay about diversity within the secondary, so I'm working on drafting a general one. Is it okay for my essay to span multiple topics, since I am among several groups that would be considered minorities or traditionally disadvantaged (i.e. gay and a first generation American and other things). I will of course tie these together and relate them to how my experiences with them have made me a better doctor, but is it okay to span different topics within the essay? Will it seem like I'm cramming too many things in or overemphasizing that my background is disadvantaged? Should I just pick one thing to write about? Some of them want 4000 words so I have some room to elaborate, but I don't want to overdo it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I think 2-3 are fine, especially when you have 4000 words ( or did you mean characters?).