Is it okay to apply to both DO & MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JENGO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in osteopathic medicine. This summer I shadowed a DO and still currently am. Next month I will be shadowing a MD. I guess I want to see each ones approach to medicine hands-on.
I would like to go to med school in IL, but there is only 1 DO school here. I'll definitely be applying to the DO school, but is it a good idea to apply to MD schools as well? Or should I know beforehand which path of medicine to follow before I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very interested in osteopathic medicine. This summer I shadowed a DO and still currently am. Next month I will be shadowing a MD. I guess I want to see each ones approach to medicine hands-on.
I would like to go to med school in IL, but there is only 1 DO school here. I'll definitely be applying to the DO school, but is it a good idea to apply to MD schools as well? Or should I know beforehand which path of medicine to follow before I apply?

apply to both and see which schools appeal to you the most.

Please correct me if I have this wrong. But I have heard of DO schools offering acceptance before any MD schools and offering an ultimatum. Accept the offer or it is gone before you get a final answer from MD schools.

Personally I am going to apply to all MD schools. If I don't get into any the next year I will apply DO. I prefer not to face the hurdles DOs do despite the fact that they are fading, but if I have to be a DO to be a doctor I am willing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please correct me if I have this wrong. But I have heard of DO schools offering acceptance before any MD schools and offering an ultimatum. Accept the offer or it is gone before you get a final answer from MD schools.

Personally I am going to apply to all MD schools. If I don't get into any the next year I will apply DO. I prefer not to face the hurdles DOs do despite the fact that they are fading, but if I have to be a DO to be a doctor I am willing.

Maybe, I just interviewed at Touro NV on Monday. They let you know if you are accepted or rejected within 2 weeks. After that, it's a 2000 deposit to put down in 2 weeks to hold your spot. All but 10% is refundable if I decide to go somewhere else.

This hurdle you are talking about is a hefty pricetag for your spot. I'm going to use PCOM as an example: When interviewed and accepted (one can only hope) you have to submit a fee as a deposit (it may be refundable) in the amount of anywhere from 100-200 dollars. When April 15 rolls around, the 2000 dollar deposit is due and it is non-refundable. As long as you send the preliminary funds you have a spot held. If schools are chosen wisely to match your stats you probably shouldn't have too much to worry about after April 15 (or whatever the date is) and don't face losing money if you make a decision before then.

I'm applying to both DO and MD. I want to get into med school this year and I don't care about which letters are after my name. Its true that most DO's are ahead of the MD's as far as interview timeline. I've received 5 DO interview offers so far and 1 MD. I figure that I will put a deposit down on one DO that I like best (and likes me back) and continue to interview at MDs. I have a couple of DOs that are above most of the MD's on my preference list, so I won't automatically take an MD offer over a DO one.

That is exactly what I was thinking of concubine and ahaydt. Thanks for clearing that up.