1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Is it okay to do all my science pre-reqs at a community college?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Ryan17, Jan 14, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Ryan17

Ryan17

Dec 26, 2013
    Hi All,

So I posted a similar thread last week asking if would be alright to take non-science prereqs like english at a community college, but what about the science classes? I'm not trying to get into Harvard MD or anything, but would more than a handful of MD schools look down on this?

I'm a postbac student who's a bit tight on money, and CC is my cheapest option. Problem is, I have a poor undergrad record from my first 2 years of college (string of D's that already pulls my science gpa down to a 3.2-3.3 at best, even assuming a successful postbac).

So because of my poor past grades/science GPA, should I just suck it up, pay a bit more and take the science classes at a 4 year university?

Thanks!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. TennisBallAgainstDaWall

TennisBallAgainstDaWall Account on Hold Account on Hold

Jan 8, 2014
    From what I have heard, you have to show the Medical schools that you can succeed at the university level. Transfer students do this by taking pre-reqs at CC's, and then majoring in a science at a 4 year (and doing well in those classes). Also, if you rock the MCAT, then you should have no problem

4. surfdoc29

surfdoc29 2+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2012
    MDApps:
    I did almost all my pre reqs at a cc cause like you I was doing a post bacc and was on a budget. I did 2 upper division science classes at a university. I've been accepted to multiple med schools, including a top 20 school.

That being said, if you do it at a cc, you pretty much have to get straight As and smoke the mcat. You'll have slightly more leeway if you take all the pre reqs at a university.

5. Goro

Goro Probationary Status 5+ Year Member

It will be OK. Med schools realize that non-trad students have a life. But best bet is to invest in MSAR and see which schools accept and which don't.

zachdwphoto likes this.
  6. brianbellau

brianbellau Banned Banned

Nov 8, 2013
    You don't have to get straight A's at the CC to have a chance, friend of mine did all his pre-reqs at CC (mostly B's), but kicked butt when he transferred to his 4 year and applied with a 3.6 GPA and 38 MCAT. (His CC was extremely grade deflated and challenging) He's sitting on 3 acceptances and 2 interviews coming up.

If you're GPA is good overall, the adcoms will care more about your performance at the 4 year than at the CC.

7. Ryan17

Ryan17

Dec 26, 2013
    I think some of you guys are missing something...I already finished a 4 year degree in economics, so I'm just doing a DIY postbac in my hometown. Hence why I was worried about the CC not looking as good, especially considering my poor first 2 years of undergrad.

8. theseeker4

theseeker4 PGY 1 5+ Year Member

You might want to read the OP. We are not talking about someone who will be applying with a 3.6GPA, we are talking about someone who will be applying with a 3.3-3.4 sGPA IF they get all As on their science post bac. Also, a 38 MCAT is hardly a likely score for any particular applicant to attain.

9. surfdoc29

surfdoc29 2+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2012
    MDApps:
    You missed that this was in a post bacc, which is very different than doing CC before transferring to a university. If you have a subpar GPA in undergrad it is imperative that you get essentially straight As in your post bac, especially at a CC

10. surfdoc29

surfdoc29 2+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2012
    MDApps:
    Read my post again... I have a very similar background to you. Feel free to pm me with any questions!