Is it okay to do biochemistry research, while NOT majoring in biochem? But majoring in biology?

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I volunteer at a research lab at my undergrad institution. It is a biochemistry based research lab in the chemistry department, and it does deal some with bacteria and gene transcription/translation. However, it is a biochemistry lab, and I am not interested in majoring in biochemistry. I want to major in biology.

Will medical school look down on it that I major in biology but do research in a biochemistry lab? Will it matter for top schools? I am also planning to do an honors thesis (I am in the honors college at my school) based on research in the biochem lab. But it won't be a "biology honors thesis", it will just be an "honors thesis" for undergrad.

Will med schools care that I do research in biochemistry while majoring in biology? It's just that, the biochemistry lab is interesting, but the major itself is just meh. I'd rather take virology/microbiology/cell biology classes during my senior year than be stuck writing lab writeups for physical chemistry.

Jun 29, 2011
Status
Medical Student
are you going to start a new thread on every single possible hypothetical scenario that will face you in your medical career and foolish questions that could be better contained in one thread?

if you are, there's no need to give us your background anymore. We get it already. Just cut to the chase.

Here's your answer: Yes.

Reactions: Boolean

inycepoo

1K Member
Removed
Dec 8, 2012
New York
are you going to start a new thread on every single possible hypothetical scenario that will face you in your medical career and foolish questions that could be better contained in one thread?
lol

A bio major and biochem research...............you're literally a penny a dozen. No med school is going to notice you, and thus, won't care.

rain4venus

5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2013
Status
Non-Student
dude, seriously?

idea for your next thread: Will top schools think it's okay that I'm dating a lawyer even though I want to go to med school?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oh_Gee and Nena01

rain4venus

5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Oooh... After that one: Will top schools prefer that I eat chicken flavor or beef flavor ramen noodles during my gap years and med school so I can save up enough money to fly home every night so I can still live with my parents on the other side of the country?

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
Oooh... After that one: Will top schools prefer that I eat chicken flavor or beef flavor ramen noodles during my gap years and med school so I can save up enough money to fly home every night so I can still live with my parents on the other side of the country?
OP should not mention having parents because not being underprivileged by living on the streets as an orphan will hurt their app at the top schools.....if OP really wanted to be in top schools they would go back in time and have no parents

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
OP should not mention having parents because not being underprivileged by living on the streets as an orphan will hurt their app at the top schools.....if OP really wanted to be in top schools they would go back in time and have no parents
Better yet, OP should be an orphan from Korea. Who is left handed.

To answer the question:. It's fine. Why wouldn't it be?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
1) Will medical school look down on it that I major in biology but do research in a biochemistry lab?
2) Will it matter for top schools?
3) Will med schools care that I do research in biochemistry while majoring in biology?
1) No
2) No.
3) No.

Jul 2, 2013
Status
Medical Student
We already know OPs background and her parents (see "Am I "educationally disadvantaged"?" thread).

But in all seriousness, I did research in animal behavior and i am an engineering major. So far I have not been questioned by any of my interviewers about why I did research with animals even though I am not an animal science major. Research is research, I personally don't think it has to be specific to your major.

Nena01

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
yes!

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I know psychology majors who work in chemistry labs, you can pretty much do whatever you want pending an interest and capacity to actually be good at it.

Reactions: funknewbious
OP
streampaw

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Omg you guys are so funny lolz:D

Jun 8, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I volunteer at a research lab at my undergrad institution. It is a biochemistry based research lab in the chemistry department, and it does deal some with bacteria and gene transcription/translation. However, it is a biochemistry lab, and I am not interested in majoring in biochemistry. I want to major in biology.

Will medical school look down on it that I major in biology but do research in a biochemistry lab? Will it matter for top schools? I am also planning to do an honors thesis (I am in the honors college at my school) based on research in the biochem lab. But it won't be a "biology honors thesis", it will just be an "honors thesis" for undergrad.

Will med schools care that I do research in biochemistry while majoring in biology? It's just that, the biochemistry lab is interesting, but the major itself is just meh. I'd rather take virology/microbiology/cell biology classes during my senior year than be stuck writing lab writeups for physical chemistry.

Sorry OP even conjuring the thought in your mind makes you disqualified for MD :\.

I heard Caribbean schools are a good alternative though, good luck!

Nena01

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
It's been good entertainment for our bored souls though :rolleyes:

OP
streampaw

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I am actually not a troll though, but I found it amusing how you guys responded to this thread.

SunsFun

VICE president
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2011
Pannotia
OP, before you start a new thread with another question, do yourself a favor and stick around just reading this forum. Honestly, all the questions you have asked so far have been answered in one way or another. If you can just read the stuff that has already been posted and only ask a question when it is truly unique and pertains only to your situation - you will get much better and more serious responses.

Nov 30, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
It's important to tailor your major to your EC's, haven't you read the forum before? Adcoms SPECIFICALLY want people who have no diversity whatsoever in their application. Make sure all your volunteering is related to your major as well too, and don't take the MCAT sections that aren't part of your major

GL OP!!!

Reactions: rain4venus

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
I am actually not a troll though, but I found it amusing how you guys responded to this thread.
Yeah okay. Pretty persistent behavior as expected from a 17 y/o dating a law student

Nena01

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
It's important to tailor your major to your EC's, haven't you read the forum before? Adcoms SPECIFICALLY want people who have no diversity whatsoever in their application. Make sure all your volunteering is related to your major as well too, and don't take the MCAT sections that aren't part of your major

GL OP!!!
Also dating someone not in a healthcare field will be looked down upon. So drop the law student. Just start over.. :)

inycepoo

1K Member
Removed
Dec 8, 2012
New York
Better yet, OP should be an orphan from Korea. Who is left handed.
Make sure it's North Korea (PRC)!

Also dating someone not in a healthcare field will be looked down upon. So drop the law student. Just start over.. :)
There are a lot of hotties at the law school at my university......a senior in one of my classes boned our TA and now they're dating......

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
Make sure it's North Korea (PRC)!

There are a lot of hotties at the law school at my university......a senior in one of my classes boned our TA and now they're dating......
Damn son. I can't blame him though i'd tap that TA too. ;)

OP
streampaw

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Damn you guys are hillarious. I will try to post less threads though.

inycepoo

1K Member
Removed
Dec 8, 2012
New York
Damn you guys are hillarious. I will try to post less threads though.
Omg wait I think this is the first time that someone in your position has actually conceded to our cries for not starting so many threads. Ermahgerd