Is it okay to drop a class??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

full of hope

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I am trying to decide if I should drop my Organic Chemistry class (2nd semester). I am taking plenty of other challenging classes, and I do not want to take the risk of doing poorly in it, because as of now, I am not doing well. So what I want to know is how bad you guys think it looks on a transcript to have dropped a class. I figure it is better than a bad grade. What do you think?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's worse to get an F than get a W. Also, if you can't dedicate the time and energy to a class right now, then don't, becsaue it will just mess up your other classes. Be realistic and if you have to drop it, no sweat. TAke it again and ACE it

good luck and study hard:clap:

I assume it would be a withdraw rather than a drop? This would not be good with a major science course. Is there any way getting a tutor would help you pass?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to think about what kind of schedule you are going to have as a med student. If you don't have any W's on your transcript, you could possibly explain to the admission's people that you felt overwhelmed, but I will caution premeds... Schools DO look at W's and then they look at what you were taking that semester.

They know what kind of schedule you will have as a med student, so seeing W's will make them wonder if you can handle the hectic, busy, and challenging classes you will have.

However, that said... an F or D would look really bad and drastically affect your GPA.

A W is MUCH better than a low grade. Just don't make a habit of dropping classes or it will reflect poorly on your academic record.