Is it okay to include quotes in your personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ll strife ll

Drug Dealer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quote that I'd like to put in my personal statement. Is it a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

its ok to put quotes, maybe one or two. definitely not more because you will have to elaborate on them

I have reviewed PS's with a quote. Just don't overdo it where your PS becomes a literary review. Explain the quote's relevance and move on. Adcoms don't have that much time to totally analyze the deeper meanings of your work.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
A quote can be useful for your P.S., depending on how it will be used and how relevant it is to the rest of your essay. But, I think you can also do well w/o it. I think the adcoms will appreciate more about what you have to say, in simplicity and honesty, vs. a quote that might be interpreted more than one way and hence, maybe the need for a more detailed explanation, which might shift the reader's attention somewhere else instead of being on you.

If it flows well and it is not distracting, then use it. If not, just normal sentences will do. Just my 2cents.

I read somewhere that dialogue is something that is very uncommon in personal statements but it would be a good idea to include some dialogue.

A well-placed quote is a great idea. However, it has to be there for a good reason, and in the right place.