Is it okay to include this in my interview/application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metired111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This might seem like a silly question but I can't find it anywhere on the internet.
I was wondering if it's okay to include that I helped suction/do some dental assistant work while I interned at a dental office? Like...is it legal for me to do that...will I get in trouble?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you OSHA certified? to be safe I would not say that. Especially to protect the dentist you worked for.

Are you OSHA certified? to be safe I would not say that. Especially to protect the dentist you worked for.

No I am not. Okay so I will not be including any of that and say "job shadow" instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your state laws. It depends on the stage - some allow it as long as a dentist is in the room

I agree. Even if it's legal in your state, when your app gets reviewed it might be viewed as a negative.

Check the state laws. In many states you can be a dental assistant without any certification. Just need RHS to take X-Rays. And don't quote me on this, but I think dental offices are required to do OSHA training once a year for their employees, even though many don't. If it's legal in your state I would mention it and say you worked as a dental assistant.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have your dental assistant registration, then it's not a problem. If you don't, then don't mention it at all.

Depends on the state. For PA: "A dental assistant in Pennsylvania may perform basic supportive dental procedures specified by the state dental practice act under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist. There are no education or training requirements for this level of dental assisting."

The dentist/dental assistant at a free dental care clinic I volunteered at allowed me to suction, set up the stations, and help out with some basic things (curing, etc.) under their supervision. It was interesting because the clinic was also an externship for one dental school's students. I believe NY is one state that is particularly strict. Just make sure you're not pulling out teeth in Peru, lol...

Depends on the state. For PA: "A dental assistant in Pennsylvania may perform basic supportive dental procedures specified by the state dental practice act under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist. There are no education or training requirements for this level of dental assisting."

The dentist/dental assistant at a free dental care clinic I volunteered at allowed me to suction, set up the stations, and help out with some basic things (curing, etc.) under their supervision. It was interesting because the clinic was also an externship for one dental school's students. I believe NY is one state that is particularly strict. Just make sure you're not pulling out teeth in Peru, lol...
Where did you find this? I can't find the one for NC