Medical Is it okay to quit my job after being accepted to medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been working in my current position since June of 2019. During my time here, I have also been working another job and doing my medical school application process. I now have acceptances and will begin medical school in 2021.

Lately, I find myself miserable in my job and in the town I am living in. I feel underpaid, WAY overworked and overall, miserable. I think a lot of this has to do with Covid in general, but also my job's handling of Covid. I want to quit so badly. I really would like to take some time to solo travel and stay with my out-of-state family for a while. I could probably get another job, but I honestly just want to travel and enjoy myself before I start school. If I could start school tomorrow, I would, so it is not that I do not want to work hard. I am just burnt out from being unhappy in this job.

I have been non-stop grinding for years and the thought of just hanging out with family and not working for a while (or building my application anymore) is both exciting and very anxiety-inducing. If I did this, I would leave my position in December and start the new year without the job. I really want to do this, but am so nervous that it would hurt my future somehow. I had filled out my application thinking I would work until May 2021, so my hours I got accepted with would be incorrect, but I have plenty of clinical and non-clinical hours besides this job (which is non-clinical) so I am not sure that would actually make a huge difference or if I would have to tell the institution I end up choosing to go to.

I wake up not wanting to go to work, and I know I need to make a change. My family and friends all support my plan, but I need to hear from people actually in the field if this is a bad idea or not.

Thank you for your time!
Do you have a clinical job? If not, it's unlikely that you were accepted and said acceptance will rely upon your staying in that job until matriculation.

Members don't see this ad.

If you hate your job, quit your job. The only thing to worry about is if you don't get accepted as then you will have to reapply, but if you can find something else productive to do in the meantime, your next application cycle will not be negatively affected.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.