Is it okay to send a letter of intent/update letter in the same email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armaragon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title.

Also, how would I go about structuring that email? This school does not accept update letters unless you are invited for an interview and it is my top choice for medical education. In addition, When should I send this email, a couple of days or weeks post interview?

I do not want to come off as needy, but this school is by far my top choice and I would immediately inform all other schools that I would be forgoing my application (if accepted).

Thank you everyone in advance :)

@Goro
@gyngyn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This school does not accept update letters unless you are invited for an interview.
The school explicitly told applicants not to unless received ii. That’s a red flag not to send ii’s and waste their time.

Reactions: 1 user
Title.

Also, how would I go about structuring that email? This school does not accept update letters unless you are invited for an interview and it is my top choice for medical education. In addition, When should I send this email, a couple of days or weeks post interview?

I do not want to come off as needy, but this school is by far my top choice and I would immediately inform all other schools that I would be forgoing my application.

@Goro
@gyngyn
If you have not received an II, then all you are doing is telegraphing that you can't follow simple instructions, or are a special snowflake who thinks that the rules don't apply to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Title.

I do not want to come off as needy, but this school is by far my top choice and I would immediately inform all other schools that I would be forgoing my application.

@Goro
@gyngyn
The school explicitly told applicants not to unless received ii. That’s a red flag not to send ii’s and waste their time.
If you have not received an II, then all you are doing is telegraphing that you can't follow simple instructions, or are a special snowflake who thinks that the rules don't apply to them.
I dunno, but I'm pretty sure you guys are the ones who aren't reading carefully! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It looks to me that while OP is noting the school does not accept pre-II updates, he is implying he has an II since he is asking how long he should wait after an II to send an update!!! :cool:

My advice would be ASAP, hopefully before the adcom meets after his interview. There is no magic to structuring an email. Just keep it short and to the point. If they are welcoming updates, they certainly aren't inviting you to write another essay! Good luck!!! :cool:

I am sorry If I did not make this clear. I did receive an interview at this school for next week.
@Goro

I dunno, but I'm pretty sure you guys are the ones who aren't reading carefully! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It looks to me that while OP is noting the school does not accept pre-II updates, he is implying he has an II since he is asking how long he should wait after an II to send an update!!! :cool:

My advice would be ASAP, hopefully before the adcom meets after his interview. There is no magic to structuring an email. Just keep it short and to the point. If they are welcoming updates, they certainly aren't inviting you to write another essay! Good luck!!! :cool:
you right my man :D

Sending a LOI before an interview is telegraphing that you're desperate and needy.
In this scenario, I am talking about sending a combined LOI/update letter after my interview! Not sure exactly how to structure it, maybe attach the update letter as a PDF and write the LOI as an email?

In this scenario, I am talking about sending a combined LOI/update letter after my interview! Not sure exactly how to structure it, maybe attach the update letter as a PDF and write the LOI as an email?
My thoughts: Connect how your updated activities fit with the school's mission through mentioning unique programs or recent developments. That would show personalized interest within an update.

I could see that Despite All Our advice you're going to do it anyway so go ahead and do it .

Let us know how it works out.

I could see that Despite All Our advice you're going to do it anyway so go ahead and do it .

I think they're doing it after the interview, not before as you advised, so they are following your advice!

Reactions: 1 users

Let us know how

Goro, I am not trying to be rude but are you reading what I am posting?

I am not sending a LOI or update letter before the interview. I am merely wondering how to structure a combined LOI/update letter post interview and how long after the interview I should send it!

again, not trying to be rude but I am not sure if you understand completely the situation at hand here. Thank you In advance for your advice, it is much appreciated :)

My thoughts: Connect how your updated activities fit with the school's mission through mentioning unique programs or recent developments. That would show personalized interest within an update.
Thank you rheo! So you suggest combining the LOI/update in one message/email? Interesting, I could see how it could be beneficial however it might be one long ass email!

Members don't see this ad :)
@KnightDoc
Thanks for catching that. Yes, send LoI and update letter before your interview, although it won’t likely affect your chances of admission that much (they will likely read it the minute before your interview, if they have time).

Also, what matters more is the thank you letter post interview, which is all about reiterating key points during your interview and making sure your interviewers actually remember what you discussed.

@KnightDoc
Thanks for catching that. Yes, send LoI and update letter before your interview, although it won’t likely affect your chances of admission that much (they will likely read it the minute before your interview, if they have time).

Also, what matters more is the thank you letter post interview, which is all about reiterating key points during your interview and making sure your interviewers actually remember what you discussed.
Wait before? Shouldn't I send a letter of intent always after the conclusion of my interview date?

Wait before? Shouldn't I send a letter of intent always after the conclusion of my interview date?
Anything you want to discuss during interview. Say if you just published a first authorship in a good journal the week before your interview, then you should include that in your update letter because you want to talk about it during interview. If you want to talk about your desire to go to their school during interview, by all means include that LoI too (although you likely won’t get to, and if you do it’ll be cliche - your intentions seem genuine, but your fellow interviewees who are not as genuine will also say how much they want to go to their school - people do worse things to get A than this...)

Personally, for letter of interest, I would just add a sentence or two on your thank you letter post-interview. Again, the main point of thank you letter is to make sure the interviewers remember the conversations (there are plenty of resources on google for that).

Anything you want to discuss during interview. Say if you just published a first authorship in a good journal the week before your interview, then you should include that in your update letter because you want to talk about it during interview. If you want to talk about your desire to go to their school during interview, by all means include that LoI too (although you likely won’t get to, and if you do it’ll be cliche - your intentions seem genuine, but your fellow interviewees who are not as genuine will also say how much they want to go to their school - people do worse things to get A than this...)

Personally, for letter of interest, I would just add a sentence or two on your thank you letter post-interview. Again, the main point of thank you letter is to make sure the interviewers remember the conversations (there are plenty of resources on google for that).
Understood. **** this is more complicated than I thought :rofl: I'll think it over this weekend and figure it out. Thanks my man.

Understood. **** this is more complicated than I thought :rofl: I'll think it over this weekend and figure it out. Thank

good interview >>>>> LoI. You should worry more about how to make a good impression for your interviews than LoI! GL!

Yes, do it ASAP after the interview, so they have it before the committee meets on you! You are too in the weeds regarding pdfs, e-mails, etc. It should be short and to the point, so it shouldn't be more than one or two paragraphs. Ideally, just a few sentences. You already submitted a bunch of essays and had an interview. Take it from someone who loves to write a lot -- less is definitely more with Update/LOIs!! :cool:

What is happening in this thread?

Do not send and Letter of Intent BEFORE your interview....I am not trying to step on toes, but I would not listen to the above advice.

It is a general rule of thumb to NOT send a Letter of Intent before interviewing. Saying an institution is your #1 and you would matriculate there above any other school before you've interviewed, seen their campus, met students/faculty/admin staff makes no sense. Especially since your school said no updates until II, I would assume anything sent before the interview would be frowned upon. The interview is your chance to talk about the things mentioned, not beforehand. Depending on the school...your interviewer may not even have access to the letter.

Depending on the school (and how much communication they prefer) you can be strategic in whether the LOI and update are combined or separate. If they're a school that SDN deems as "needy", separate them. That is what I did. I sent an update letter a week after an interview. This school indicates when you are "scored" s/p interview. I received communication about being scored about a week after I sent the update. About a month after my interview, I sent a letter of intent. My logic was that it demonstrates that I have had time to thoughtfully process which school is truly my top choice and I am not making the decision in haste or prematurely.

Most of the resources I found for writing LOIs recommend including updates in your LOI. Especially if your school is not a "needy" school and wants to limit the amount of communication with applicants. To answer your question, it is totally fine to combine and update letter and LOI, but try to keep it brief! A full page is likely too long. Hope this helps!

• Haha
What is happening in this thread?

Do not send and Letter of Intent BEFORE your interview....I am not trying to step on toes, but I would not listen to the above advice.

It is a general rule of thumb to NOT send a Letter of Intent before interviewing. Saying an institution is your #1 and you would matriculate there above any other school before you've interviewed, seen their campus, met students/faculty/admin staff makes no sense. Especially since your school said no updates until II, I would assume anything sent before the interview would be frowned upon. The interview is your chance to talk about the things mentioned, not beforehand. Depending on the school...your interviewer may not even have access to the letter.

Depending on the school (and how much communication they prefer) you can be strategic in whether the LOI and update are combined or separate. If they're a school that SDN deems as "needy", separate them. That is what I did. I sent an update letter a week after an interview. This school indicates when you are "scored" s/p interview. I received communication about being scored about a week after I sent the update. About a month after my interview, I sent a letter of intent. My logic was that it demonstrates that I have had time to thoughtfully process which school is truly my top choice and I am not making the decision in haste or prematurely.

Most of the resources I found for writing LOIs recommend including updates in your LOI. Especially if your school is not a "needy" school and wants to limit the amount of communication with applicants. To answer your question, it is totally fine to combine and update letter and LOI, but try to keep it brief! A full page is likely too long. Hope this helps!
LOL.

Thank you so much for your input, very much appreciated. I tend to agree with your sentiment.

Lol I love how everyone is misinterpreting OP's original question. There should be a new SDN vetting process where every user needs to score at least a 125 on CARS LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users