Is it okay to shadow RN or NP for medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juiscurious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a pre-med college student that is looking to start shadowing soon. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to maybe shadow one or two RN’s or NP’s along with doctors. Y/N and please explain your answer. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not.

Clinical exposure where you work or volunteer alongside other members of the team like nurses or NPs is fine. However, for actual shadowing where you're a fly on the wall, the point is to get a sense of what "a day in the life" of someone in that field is like. It makes no sense to shadow a nurse or an NP unless you want to be a nurse or an NP.

That said, shadowing other professions may not be a bad idea to expose you to other possible career paths. But if you are specifically asking if it would help your med school application, it would not

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
If you want to be able to compare and contrast the work of a NP, PA and physician to determine which is the best path for you, then it is quite reasonable to shadow people in those professions. It will make you a better informed applicant. You should have some shadowing (about 40-50 hours) with a physician regardless of the other professionals shadowed. You are not obligated to list everything you've ever done on the application so if you do the shadowing and later decide to not list it on the application, that's okay too.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think shadowing other professions is a great in order to see the differences between careers. However it would not count as shadowing experience in AMCAS. Before deciding on med school I shadowed a PA. Shadowing basically solidified my decision to go to medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
I shadowed Nurses, Doctors, and some PA/NPs when I was making sure that pursuing being a physician was what I wanted to do. Once I made my decision, I only shadowed physicians.

Reactions: 3 users
I put a few hours of NP shadowing (alongside >100 hrs of physician shadowing) and have gotten a few IIs from T20s this cycle. However, the category is called "Physician Shadowing / Clinical Observation" so in hindsight it was probably an unnecessary minor risk. I think it is worthwhile to briefly shadow other professions to make sure you are informed, but probably best to leave it off of AMCAS.

Hi, I am a pre-med college student that is looking to start shadowing soon. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to maybe shadow one or two RN’s or NP’s along with doctors. Y/N and please explain your answer. Thank you!!
No

N.

During my shadowing time, one of my experiences was shadowing a surgeon who had a PA covering his follow up visits. I shadowed with both the Dr. and the PA, but I only listed the Dr. on my application.

Reactions: 2 users
RN-->NP here applying to med school. In a word, no, don't shadow us if you actually want to be a physician. I agree with those who have said above that shadowing nurses to differentiate our role(s) from that of a physician's role is a GREAT way to learn more about healthcare and the different disciplines you would work closely with as a physician. But the work of a bedside nurse is nothing like the work of a physician. And the work of an NP is highly variable based on practice setting.

NP or PA work may *look* like physician work on the surface, but the difference in level of responsibility for patient care is vastly different (with the physician having much more responsibility). So, while it might be good exposure to patient care and the clinical setting and even some of the day-to-day routine, which can overlap between physicians and mid-levels, it's not a good way to determine if being a physician is right for you.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to shadow a physician. Otherwise you won't have an understanding of the job which is part of the reason to shadow a doctor.

If you want to become a nurse, shadow a nurse. NP's are nurses too...