Is it okay to skip Lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 5 on AP Chemistry which at my school exempts me from:

General Chem 1 + General Chem 1 Lab
General Chem 2

Do I still have to take General Chem 1 Lab?
I was planning on taking
General Chem 1 first semester
General Chem 2 + Lab 2nd semester

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend just taking all of the classes. They should be easy As for you and you don't have to deal with whether or not schools will accept your AP credit when you get around to applying.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)

I'm just skipping AP Credit for lab though :(

Members don't see this ad :)
lab is a required pre-req. You don't have to take it while taking the class -- but it may be easier if you do so.

I got a 5 on AP Chemistry which at my school exempts me from:

General Chem 1 + General Chem 1 Lab
General Chem 2

Do I still have to take General Chem 1 Lab?
I was planning on taking
General Chem 1 first semester
General Chem 2 + Lab 2nd semester

Another thread on this? Your school has a special (2 credit) lab JUST FOR people like you and I who received AP Chem credit.
(CHEM277 ANALYT/BIOANALYT CHM LAB) <- THIS is the class you will take. You will take it after Orgo I/II.(which I did my freshman year)
Contrary to what many believe, the people who run universities do sometimes know what they're doing. If you have any other questions specific to the college you're attending, feel free to PM me.

I would recommend just taking all of the classes. They should be easy As for you and you don't have to deal with whether or not schools will accept your AP credit when you get around to applying.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)

"Easy As", really? Unless the OP is dead set on going to a handful of schools (most in the Cal system) acceptance of AP credit is a non-issue.

Last edited:
My cousin is in the middle of attempting something like this for lab, and his advisor said it was okay... (I disagreed, but he listened to his advisor, not an avid SDN-er like myself - huge mistake on his part...)

He is a vegan or vegetarian or something and general bio 2 lab has a fetal pig dissection that he refused to do, so he just didn't take the lab. I think the advisor told him that as long as he takes another bio class with lab he'll be fine... We'll see what happens I guess...

Some schools won't accept AP/IB credits for pre reqs. I got a 5 on AP chem (mind you this was 2005) and took GChem 1 and 2 in undergrad. I'm glad I did for many reasons...easy A's, learn how college chem is (much different from high school or ap), use the stuff on the mcat, etc.

Just take the classes. There's no real big benefit not to

Some schools won't accept AP/IB credits for pre reqs. I got a 5 on AP chem (mind you this was 2005) and took GChem 1 and 2 in undergrad. I'm glad I did for many reasons...easy A's, learn how college chem is (much different from high school or ap), use the stuff on the mcat, etc.

Just take the classes. There's no real big benefit not to

Yes, much has changed in 7 years. Only a handful of medical colleges have any problem with AP credit. Virtually ALL now will accept them as credit or placement(with a higher level course taken during college) It is no longer an issue. As for "no real big benefit", I entered college with 53 AP credits, which allowed me to qualify for a summer research program after freshman year for which I otherwise would not have been qualified. It was a wonderful experience and has cascaded into research I am doing this summer. Also, I believe the OP is an engineering major so any classes he/she can skip will make the undergraduate experience better and clear time for ECs or academic enrichment.

Med schools' website count labs as pre-reqs. Look around schools' websites.

Except that as an engineering major getting all the A's you can doesnt hurt...it's one of the majors with lowest graduating GPAs (it's effing hard)

"Easy As", really? Unless the OP is dead set on going to a handful of schools (most in the Cal system) acceptance of AP credit is a non-issue.

And yet there are still people posting their sob stories about how they didn't realize that _____ didn't accept their AP credit and now it's the summer before matriculation. I agree that more than likely it's a non-issue, but to cover all of your bases, just retaking the courses is the better way to go. Besides, what benefit does AP credit give you? I came into undergrad with something like 45+ hours of credit, retook everything in the sciences, and I don't think it harmed me a bit.

The AP system is a joke, and if you think earning a 5 on an AP exam means you've mastered the material, you've got another thing coming (another reason why I recommend not skipping classes). And if you did actually master the material, then, again, they should be easy As to give yourself a good start on your GPA.

Another thread on this? Your school has a special (2 credit) lab JUST FOR people like you and I who received AP Chem credit.

No, this is a DIFFERENT THREAD! I am willingly and understandingly retaking GENERAL CHEMISTRY 1 AND GENERAL CHEMISTRY 2 + LAB. However, I don't want to take GENERAL CHEMISTRY 1 Lab, because people have told me it's a waste of time and has nothing to do with the lecture class

And yet there are still people posting their sob stories about how they didn't realize that _____ didn't accept their AP credit and now it's the summer before matriculation.

I've seen ONE thread on this topic recently and it was about UCLA the well known exception to the rule. Is THAT what you are talking about?

I agree that more than likely it's a non-issue, but to cover all of your bases, just retaking the courses is the better way to go. Besides, what benefit does AP credit give you? I came into undergrad with something like 45+ hours of credit, retook everything in the sciences, and I don't think it harmed me a bit.

I suppose the "harm" would be a function of how much you value your time and potential missed opportunities. I came into undergrad with 53 credits and retook nothing. So I am now starting my 5th semester this fall with over 120 credits and will be taking at least one grad level course every semester until I graduate. It has also allowed me to conduct research that normally would be reserved for grad students.

The AP system is a joke, and if you think earning a 5 on an AP exam means you've mastered the material, you've got another thing coming (another reason why I recommend not skipping classes). And if you did actually master the material, then, again, they should be easy As to give yourself a good start on your GPA.

Wow, you have a way with words?:smuggrin:

People can have varied experiences with AP classes in high school, I understand that. But the same is true in UG. My experience was very good. I had certified instructors in almost all of my AP classes and I DID actually learn the material.

The truth here is that the legacy system we have in place is inadequate for the realities of our high tech world. Intro bio, chem, physics, etc. are REALLY high school courses and if we as a nation, are to maintain our place in the world, our system must change. We don't need less AP type classes, we need more, MUCH more. Graduating middle aged doctors and scientist is just not cost effective and does real harm to creativity.