Is it okay to take organic chemistry after I graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

June94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is very long but I really need some help/guidance. I would really, really appreciate if anyone can help me out.

I'm a third year transfer student. I have to take organic chemistry for my major (neurobiology) and for medical school. My school offers it as a year long series and as a two quarter series. I also have to take biochemistry courses and they have ochem as a prerequisite. I want to take the shorter series because that way I can finish it faster and take other classes that I actually like. I mean, after I graduate, that's it. I won't be able to take cool neuro courses anymore and I want to actually learn about that kind of stuff. I'm a junior so if I take the longer series, I have to take it over the summer in order to be able to finish it on time and to be able to take the biochem courses on time too. I don't like this because 1) it's going to take up my entire summer and my school is in an area that reaches up to 110-115 F in the summer and, most importantly, 2) this means I won't be able to do any volunteer work, research, internships, etc. as all of my time will have to be allotted to the class. However, I know I need a year of ochem for medical school. So here's my question/whole point of this post... can I take the shorter series to fulfill my major requirement and graduate on time (w/out having to take it in the summer) and then take it at a community college after I graduate? I am planning to take a gap year after graduating to build up my resume with more experience. I know it seems redundant and maybe even a little silly to retake ochem to make it a year of ochem but at the same time, I want to take more neuro/depth courses. At medical school, you're given a curriculum and you don't get to specialize until third year. I'm not saying those classes aren't interesting as they really are, but I want to enjoy my time in undergrad too. If I take it at a CC, it won't be as rigorous because it would be 16 weeks instead of 6 weeks (summer classes at my school are only 6 weeks long). Is this something that I can do? Will medical schools accept this? If they do, will they accept my reasons for it or view it as lazy/irresponsible? I would appreciate any honest feedback as I really need it. Thank you.

TLDR: should I take ochem after graduating so that I can take more interesting major/depth classes or during this summer as an undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.