Is it okay to take orgo 2 without a strong background in orgo 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ks333

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took orgo a year ago and I didn’t do well. I’m scared that I won’t be able to succeed in orgo 2 bc I don’t have a strong background in orgo 1. Would it be better to review orgo 1 and prestudy orgo 2 this semester and take orgo 2 next semester or should I just take it now. Taking it next semester would set me back a bit for taking the mcat. I am planning on applying in 2022.

AIbEiAIAAABDCJDsuI7Lu5uqDiILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKDAwYzY0NjMzNzBmMmM3ZTAyYmJkZDA2OGU5MWVmZDI5NmNhOTg4ZjQwAdJmwyoBN-6c4I0Mn5R5tXSdhj9-
ReplyForward

Members don't see this ad.

I took orgo a year ago and I didn’t do well. I’m scared that I won’t be able to succeed in orgo 2 bc I don’t have a strong background in orgo 1. Would it be better to review orgo 1 and prestudy orgo 2 this semester and take orgo 2 next semester or should I just take it now. Taking it next semester would set me back a bit for taking the mcat. I am planning on applying in 2022.

AIbEiAIAAABDCJDsuI7Lu5uqDiILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKDAwYzY0NjMzNzBmMmM3ZTAyYmJkZDA2OGU5MWVmZDI5NmNhOTg4ZjQwAdJmwyoBN-6c4I0Mn5R5tXSdhj9-
ReplyForward
Good news!!! Do whatever is best for you (many schools don't require orgo 2 at all), because there is little to no orgo 2 on the MCAT, so you really don't need it to do well. You need biochem and orgo 1. Do you mean you are not applying until next cycle, or the cycle after that? If it's the latter, how would taking orgo 2 in the spring set you back for the MCAT in any event, since that would still be a full year before you are applying?

No you will get destroyed in orgo 2 and it goes too in-depth for the MCAT. Many schools allow you to replace orgo 2 with biochem or don't require orgo 2 at all.

Reactions: 1 user