Is it okay to take physics at a community college?

• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

aoum86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I want to take physics 2 this summer. It would be significantly (thousands of dollars) cheaper for me to take the course a local community college than it would be for me to take it at the private university I attend. I will be a seniro in the fall. Would be okay or appropriate to take physics at a community college? Thanks.

halal meat

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Ive heard people say it doesnt matter and people who say schools look down upon CC credits and so on and so forth.

I say CC creds are ok. Better check with various schools though.

Sunshine1025

Feb 20, 2007
Detroit, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
There are 2 x 10^234 threads on this...

I really think that medical schools could care less if you took physics at a community college or at a university, unless for some reason it would negatively impact your MCAT by not being "in-depth" enough.

I'd definitely do it!! Community college can sometimes even be nicer than universities as you aren't having graduate teaching assistants teaching and actually have a prof teaching you. It'd be nice because you can go in and get help or further explanation/teaching right from the professor and he'd probably at least recognize your face! =)

Anyways, that's my take on it, but I'm going to a university so... take it or leave it.

About the Ads

sejin8642

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you are attending CC now then I think it's OK. But after you successfully complete CC works and transfer to a University, you have to show consistency in academic performance. However, I don't think it is a good idea to take Physics at a CC when you are attending a university because adcoms would think that your intention of taking Physics at CC seems to raise GPA up even though Physics courses are available at your university.

sheepunite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
cornell's FAQ, for example, say that taking required classes at CCs is not recommended.

OHare

MD
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It's common knowledge that taking premed classes at another school is not good. People are always looking for an easy way out and AC know this. Take it at your undergrad school like you're supposed to.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.