Is it okay to take physics at a community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aoum86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take physics 2 this summer. It would be significantly (thousands of dollars) cheaper for me to take the course a local community college than it would be for me to take it at the private university I attend. I will be a seniro in the fall. Would be okay or appropriate to take physics at a community college? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive heard people say it doesnt matter and people who say schools look down upon CC credits and so on and so forth.

I say CC creds are ok. Better check with various schools though.

There are 2 x 10^234 threads on this...

I really think that medical schools could care less if you took physics at a community college or at a university, unless for some reason it would negatively impact your MCAT by not being "in-depth" enough.

I'd definitely do it!! Community college can sometimes even be nicer than universities as you aren't having graduate teaching assistants teaching and actually have a prof teaching you. It'd be nice because you can go in and get help or further explanation/teaching right from the professor and he'd probably at least recognize your face! =)

Anyways, that's my take on it, but I'm going to a university so... take it or leave it.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont take it at a cc; it shows that you are taking the easy way out

If you are attending CC now then I think it's OK. But after you successfully complete CC works and transfer to a University, you have to show consistency in academic performance. However, I don't think it is a good idea to take Physics at a CC when you are attending a university because adcoms would think that your intention of taking Physics at CC seems to raise GPA up even though Physics courses are available at your university.

cornell's FAQ, for example, say that taking required classes at CCs is not recommended.

It's common knowledge that taking premed classes at another school is not good. People are always looking for an easy way out and AC know this. Take it at your undergrad school like you're supposed to.