Is it okay to take science classes at community colleges/low ranked universities during summers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dayaa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or is it better just to wait after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

It should be fine, just do well in the courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are going to take a course at a CC regardless and your question is whether to do it during the summer or after you graduate, I say wait. Use your summer to shadow, relax, or do some real research it you are into research

depends the course. Many medical schools note that both CC and summer classes are considered less rigorous .

Taking important prereqs in either condition is not what I normally recommend to my students.

Put this in context of the your overall coursework and background. As I tell all the premeds use your judgement

Why would an accelerated summer class be considered less rigorous? Wouldn't it be even more impressive (or at least, equally as impressive) to get an A in Organic Chemistry in the summer in a much shorter period of time (6 week session) when compared to taking the class during a 16 week semester? Same amount of material, more accelerated pace.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/science-course-over-summer.1063574/#post-15086634

Here is a link to an thread on the topic before that includes links/quotes from school that frown upon summer and/or cc classes
Just read this. I'm assuming that these distinctions from medical schools are almost solely focusing on traditional students, right (who are taking their typical load of courses as well as their prereqs)? I'm guessing this is the case because non-trads almost always have to take a couple science classes over the summer to finish their prereqs in a reasonable period of time.

Well that kind of scares me a bit...
I took many pre-req courses over the summer at a satellite of my home University. (Physics 1&2, ochem series, bio "2" which was cell bio). Took 16 credits in one summer. Organic was a beast...as always.

It was due or die for me. I changed my major late in the game and I had no other choice if I didn't want to take a 5th year in UG.