Medical Is it okay to talk about mom's cancer in PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Growing up my mom struggled with a rare type of cancer. Once she divorced my father I started to take her and accompany her to her appointments, surgeries, radiation treatments, etc. Seeing this really focused my passion and interest to medicine from science. In my intro on my PS I would like to talk about this, would that be appropriate? I am not trying to be a sob story or anything but it is an important reason for why I am pursuing medicine.

Thanks.
Absolutely. Make sure this is something you are comfortable speaking about in an interview as anything and everything you put into your application is fair game.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your advice. What kind of questions could/would I expect? I don't mind discussing the situation, but just curious what ADCOMs would be interested in asking about.
You cannot predict what any interviewer or admissions committee members will ask you. You need to be prepared for any follow-up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice. What kind of questions could/would I expect? I don't mind discussing the situation, but just curious what ADCOMs would be interested in asking about.

The questions could be about your feelings about your mother’s illness, your perspective on it, and you even might get asked more specific questions like what kind of time commitment it was or how the doctor spoke to your mother. They might also ask shout your relationship with death and mortality.

I would sit down and write down questions you might have if someone brought this up. Brainstorm heavily, and leave no potential question unasked of yourself.

Also, think about the questions normal people have asked you when you’ve talked about it. You can also ask a friend what kind of questions they would have if learning this information for the first time.

Remember that your interviewers have two jobs: 1. Evaluate you 2. Advocate for you. They are unlikely to ask anything truly offensive, but always be ready for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.