Is it okay to..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j-med

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
take your handsome young professor to lunch? :rolleyes: :p

how often do you guys take your younger professors out to lunch or tea? any stigma?

Members don't see this ad.

One time I asked a professor out and she punched me in the face.

True story.

j-med said:
take you handsome young professor to lunch? :oops: :p

how often do you guys take your younger professors out to lunch or tea? any stigma?
Wait until you're no longer a student in a class that he teaches because it could get him fired.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hari Kari said:
Wait until you're no longer a student in a class that he teaches because it could get him fired.

even just lunch?

i guess part of it too is that for our 'pre-LOR' writing meeting, he himself said he's tired of his office and that we should meet at the cafe to talk about my work.

Now 'to thank him for writing the letter', and really just to talk more ;-p, I want hope to take him to lunch. But then again.. the letter is written, and there's not enough 'legitimate' reason for us to meet, so
I don't know if it's appropriate...
and I guess also partly with the reason you cited I guess...? ...

or any of you think it's nothing inappropriate?

its a bit iffy.... I wouldnt take him on a lunch. Instead perhaps you could write him a carefully crafted note or talk to him during office hours. Once you get accepted you can do lunch. I would be cautious. Its always good to be cautious. :)

Is the prof single? Choose your steps carefully at first. Start a platonic friendship (really try for it to be platonic) and just consider him a mentor (just a mentor). Then just wait and hope, that either you graduate soon or he transfers to another university.

If married, forget about it.

I must admit, there's always something about young hot professors.

Is the prof single? Choose your steps carefully at first. Start a platonic friendship (really try for it to be platonic) and just consider him a mentor (just a mentor) for now. Then just wait and hope, that either you graduate soon or he transfers to another university.

hangten said:
Is the prof single? Choose your steps carefully at first. Start a platonic friendship (really try for it to be platonic) and just consider him a mentor (just a mentor) for now. Then just wait and hope, that either you graduate soon or he transfers to another university.

I think he's single, not sure, not really hoping for anything anyways.

But we share a lot of interests, so I hope to be friends with him. I actually even wish he's older too, then I can 'more legitimately' be friends with him. (for example, my advisor even invited me to their thanksgiving dinner last year). (altho' I don't know if it's cos he's younger that he's so approachable and fun to talk with)

And yes, we'll both be 'graduating' after next year! (He's transferring to some new job somewhere but he doesn't know yet, and well I... let's see where I can get myself into this year!)

hangten said:

hahaha, i was just having the same conversation with my friend today. i think it's the fact that they're hot AND smart AND seem to have direction in life. can you say total package?

and i'm sure i'm not the only one that's thought dirty things about the prof. while they're lecturing biochem... lock and key baby, lock and key... :D

Deleted

Last edited: