May 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone, I finally sucked it up and calculated a raw gpa of three science that i have taken so far (orgo I) and i have yet to take about 7 more classes..I know its early but Im a soph freaking out about how bad my sgpa got last sem. :(

cgpa is ~3.5 towards the higher end, political science major and minors in biology and islamic world studies.
sgpa with chem+lab, bio+lab and orgo I + lab is 3.0 (orgo was the worst grade with C+ and the rest were As and Bs, all showing letter grade improvements second semester)

ECs: 60+ hours tutoring/volunteering at a local, low income area, 36 CLINICAL VOLUNTEERING plus some shadowing with DO, various volunteer activities with pre med club, and leader of organization on campus, I also work

what can i do to improve my app?

PLEASE be as honest as possible. I know its bad and I am willing to do anything to improve!

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone, I finally sucked it up and calculated a raw gpa of three science that i have taken so far (orgo I) and i have yet to take about 7 more classes..I know its early but Im a soph freaking out about how bad my sgpa got last sem. :(

cgpa is ~3.5 towards the higher end, political science major and minors in biology and islamic world studies.
sgpa with chem+lab, bio+lab and orgo I + lab is 3.0 (orgo was the worst grade with C+ and the rest were As and Bs, all showing letter grade improvements second semester)

ECs: 60+ hours tutoring/volunteering at a local, low income area, 36 CLINICAL VOLUNTEERING plus some shadowing with DO, various volunteer activities with pre med club, and leader of organization on campus, I also work

what can i do to improve my app?

PLEASE be as honest as possible. I know its bad and I am willing to do anything to improve!
Umm, make As? Really, there are no secrets to this game...

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
1. Get as many A's from here on out as you can. This should be your top priority. Do not let your GPA get any lower.

2. Continue to volunteer, tutor, and shadow. Get some leadership experience if you can. Also research is good to have. But these EC's should not distract you from point 1 above. If you need to take on fewer ECs in order to get A's, then do that. You can always take additional time to accumulate the needed volunteering/research/whatever later on after your GPA is solid.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
there's always DO.....

...really? You give really good advice and I have much respect for you, but this makes it sound like someone can f*** up all they want but hey! There's always DO!

:thumbdown:

Most DO schools don't love a 3.0 sGPA.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
...really? You give really good advice and I have much respect for you, but this makes it sound like someone can f*** up all they want but hey! There's always DO!

:thumbdown:

Most DO schools don't love a 3.0 sGPA.
I know that...simmer down!!

OP, needs to work on ECs and GPA....

However, MD is gonna be a longshot at this point.

So, I would recommend to the OP to look strongly at DO. Hence, there is the option of grade replacement and are more forgiving in terms of MCAT and GPA.

Right now, med school is a longshot period MD or DO.