Is it possibe to get into Mayo with no research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habenula45

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mayo (MN campus, since I'm one of those freaks of nature that actually loves cold winters) is my dream school since a doc at Mayo basically gave me 15 more years with my grandma when everyone else gave her 6 months and Mayo produced the ophthalmologist that saved my dad's eye. I'm sure it is a dream school for a bajillion other people so I know my chances are essentially zilch as it is.

I know Mayo is all about fit, but will I be cutting myself off at the knees without having some research experience? I worked in biofuel research at a private company as a temp for 4 months but I didn't get my name on papers or anything fancy, and it was definitely more an assistant to an associate type gig. I also basically really want to do medical genetics which I know tends to have a lot of research and academic focus.

I'm a non trad (out of undergrad 3 years now) and have no definitive plans for when I will apply, and I still have to conquer the MCAT, so I still have time to get some research in if I need before I take the plunge.

Should I put my time into other things or should I hunt down a PI/change jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

I knew they cared about fit. It just seems odd how they can pick a certain fit out of apps.

Yeah Idk what my brain is thinking with its "apply to mayo! You can doo ittt!" Shenanigans. I'm really just an average candidate if anything, nothing spectacular. Scumbag brain.

Members don't see this ad :)
No pressure or anything...ha

Did ya hear that brain?! Go make something out if yourself you lazy, dysthymic pile, or quit yer yapping!

is it possible for an ugly old man to date supermodels without a billion dollar net worth?

maybe. but a billion dollars helps. take from this analogy what you will.

Reactions: 3 users
but a billion dollars helps. take from this analogy what you will.

Step 1. Obtain a billion dollars

Step 2. Retire

Wouldn't that just be the life. Retiring at 25.

Reactions: 1 user
Mayo (MN campus, since I'm one of those freaks of nature that actually loves cold winters) is my dream school since a doc at Mayo basically gave me 15 more years with my grandma when everyone else gave her 6 months and Mayo produced the ophthalmologist that saved my dad's eye. I'm sure it is a dream school for a bajillion other people so I know my chances are essentially zilch as it is.

I know Mayo is all about fit, but will I be cutting myself off at the knees without having some research experience? I worked in biofuel research at a private company as a temp for 4 months but I didn't get my name on papers or anything fancy, and it was definitely more an assistant to an associate type gig. I also basically really want to do medical genetics which I know tends to have a lot of research and academic focus.

I'm a non trad (out of undergrad 3 years now) and have no definitive plans for when I will apply, and I still have to conquer the MCAT, so I still have time to get some research in if I need before I take the plunge.

Should I put my time into other things or should I hunt down a PI/change jobs?
Don't try to build your application around one particular school--especially Mayo, as it is extremely selective. If you want to do research, great, but don't do it just to try to make yourself more attractive to Mayo. Also, I don't think the fact that you had relatives who had good experiences with Mayo physicians should have any bearing on where you decide to apply. You can get a good education at just about any school and being a Mayo-trained physician won't necessarily give you an advantage. I will tell you that I was rejected pre-interview to Mayo and I am an URM with high GPA and MCAT and 2 years of post-undergrad research experience. While I'm sure you have different experiences from me and it's possible that you're a better "fit" for their mission, I just wanted to use myself as an example to say that while you might have all the "right" qualifications, you may just not be what the school is looking for and having your heart set on one school is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I know this is an old topic, but for future SDNers I wanted to mention that neither of my interviewers at Mayo asked me a single question about my research. The whole interview was about my values and why I want to attend Mayo. Obviously Mayo has research and research can't hurt your app, but I think it is the wrong focus if you want to get in there. Focus on service, professionalism, and figuring out if your values align well with the institution's.

Reactions: 2 users
I know this is an old topic, but for future SDNers I wanted to mention that neither of my interviewers at Mayo asked me a single question about my research. The whole interview was about my values and why I want to attend Mayo. Obviously Mayo has research and research can't hurt your app, but I think it is the wrong focus if you want to get in there. Focus on service, professionalism, and figuring out if your values align well with the institution's.
Doesn't mean the adcom meeting didn't orgasm over your research experiences. Yea, I've seen what you got dude...;)

why is the assumption that Mayo super-values research? Last I checked they werent really a basic science powerhouse. Very strong and focused clinical research and a top notch academic hospital to be sure. Maybe others know something I dont?

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't mean the adcom meeting didn't orgasm over your research experiences. Yea, I've seen what you got dude...;)

Gee don't make me blush :happy:

why is the assumption that Mayo super-values research? Last I checked they werent really a basic science powerhouse. Very strong and focused clinical research and a top notch academic hospital to be sure.

I agree with this.

90% with research, which is actually low compared to most peers.

Because of their tiny class size they are the lowest admit rate in the nation (less than 2%), an especially dangerous place to fall in love with ahead of time

I'm currently waitlisted at Mayo, no significant research history. I wasn't asked about research and my interviewers didn't seem to care that I didn't have it. I felt like they were much more focused on personality fit and commitment to patient care. "The needs of the patient come first" is engraved on the conference room fireplace:
ImageUploadedBySDN1487346099.131326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users

Last edited:
There are people in my class at Mayo who have tons of research (including a few who came in with PhD's and NIH funding already) and others who have very little or none. So yes you can get in with no research. They are holistic and they seem to look for fit/seek to build a diverse class.

why is the assumption that Mayo super-values research? Last I checked they werent really a basic science powerhouse. Very strong and focused clinical research and a top notch academic hospital to be sure. Maybe others know something I dont?
From my time there, the research seemed super robust. They'd also dedicated a large amount of infrastructure to the research including one 20-story building of just labs. Most of it was translational, but some was basic science... depends on the lab.

Edit: I don't really know how it compares to other medical schools though.

+1

I got into Mayo AZ with no research whatsoever, and in retrospect the way I answered questions about research during interviews likely came across as extremely naive and starry-eyed so I may have majorly shot myself in the foot there.

"The needs of the patient come first" is engraved on the conference room fireplace:
View attachment 214871

Right below the 3 shields, one of which represents research :p