Is it possible for a resident to switch into a Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lost777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm currently an internal medicine intern. Long story, but I consider psych vs IM for awhile, ended up choosing IM. Ever since I matched, Ive had a lingering feeling of regret. I ignored it. Now one month into residency, I feel like i made a mistake and feel Psychiatry is best suited for me.

- is it possible to switch into a psychiatry residency? Immediately or at the end of this year?
- is there a website that lists open spots?
- I'm in an osteopathic residency, will this effect my chances?
- Any advice on how to proceed?

I feel so down right now. Not a good spot to be in. But, here I am. thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey man,
Hope you're not feeling too down. I recently switched from a family medicine residency to psychiatry during the 2016-2017 cycle. If you truly feel that IM is not for you and that psychiatry is your calling, go for it. It is best if you're able to acquire a letter of recommendation from your program director which obviously brings up the fact that you'll have to tell your program director about your plan to switch. The program director is there to lead you down the right path, hopefully they will understand.

You're probably gonna have to redo intern year but will most likely get 4 months of gen med credit depending on the program.
I had plenty of allopathic interviews for psychiatry as do in a do family med program. They'll look at your scores and all that stuff. Again, because you're reapplying, there is technically a "red flag" on your application, be sure to explain it well in your personal and explain yourself in the interview.

Switching immediately into psychiatry is possible if there is an opening, there's a website, something along the lines of switching, i'm sure if you google it real quick you can find it. Keep in mind that psychiatry has filled up completely the past 3 or so years, most will not leave.

Hope this helps, keep your head up and try your best.

You can definitely switch. Plenty have. I would start speaking with your PD about it ASAP since you will need his/her blessing. A few programs take PGY2 outside of the match. How you find out about them, I'm not totally sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You would be better off coming in as a PGY-II if you want to avoid doing more medicine. If you come in as a PGY-I, but ask not to do 4 months of medicine, training directors will be interviewing about 99 other people not asking for an exception. If I ask our DIO if I can take someone, but we will not be helping to fill our IM needs, he would ask me "what is so special about this guy?"

You would be better off coming in as a PGY-II if you want to avoid doing more medicine. If you come in as a PGY-I, but ask not to do 4 months of medicine, training directors will be interviewing about 99 other people not asking for an exception. If I ask our DIO if I can take someone, but we will not be helping to fill our IM needs, he would ask me "what is so special about this guy?"
At my old program that wasn't an issue. We were extras on the IM service. Someone did a year of FM, joined us as a repeat PGY-1, and had 4 months of elective time.