Is it possible for a school to not invite me for an interview if my GPA is too high?

Jun 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I have heard that some schools, such as NYU, will not bother to call applicants for an interview if they have very high stats because they believe the applicant will not be interested in the school in the first place and aim for better schools. Is this true? My GPA will be about 3.85 and DAT 22+ on all sections, but I WILL NOT have a degree by the time I matriculate. Is there a possibility that these stats are "too high" for a school with an average acceptance GPA of 3.4 to invite me for an interview? Sorry if this sounds pretentious, it is a genuine concern I have.

Carmencitas

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I have heard that some schools, such as NYU, will not bother to call applicants for an interview if they have very high stats because they believe the applicant will not be interested in the school in the first place and aim for better schools. Is this true? My GPA will be about 3.85 and DAT 22+ on all sections, but I WILL NOT have a degree by the time I matriculate. Is there a possibility that these stats are "too high" for a school with an average acceptance GPA of 3.4 to invite me for an interview? Sorry if this sounds pretentious, it is a genuine concern I have.

That could be the case or there could be applicants who had better stories, LORs, etc. This process can be very confusing and at times unnerving but a wise person once said trust in the process! I’m sure a lot of movement will happen mid January

Reactions: 1 user

PerioDont

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
are you not planning on completing a degree? I thought that it is required to have a BS/BA by many schools.

additionally, just don't apply to NYU or any of those crazy expensive schools. I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of em.

About the Ads
Jul 22, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I can say thats probably the case because I also had similar situation. Got two acceptences at some prestige schools while haven't heard back from some private schools.

Jun 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
are you not planning on completing a degree? I thought that it is required to have a BS/BA by many schools.

additionally, just don't apply to NYU or any of those crazy expensive schools. I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of em.
I plan on applying after my second year and only completing three years of a bachelor's. Some schools don't require it, such as NYU

PerioDont

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I plan on applying after my second year and only completing three years of a bachelor's. Some schools don't require it, such as NYU
I also applied after my second year except I just accelerated my college credits by doubling up every semester in my junior year so I could graduate, so maybe you could consider that.

Again my main emphasis would be not to apply to schools that are so expensive unless someone else is paying for it - even if you have to take another year and finish up your degree. if you are an NY resident, try to go to UB, its much cheaper especially in-state.

Reactions: 1 users

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Science suggests that we should never say that something is impossible, although in this case it is very, very unlikely.

• Haha

Carmencitas

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Take what I’m saying with a grain of salt but unless you’re in an accelerated program what’s the rush? More and more people are taking gap years and i’m sure soon that will be strongly recommended because they have more experience. Also, maturity plays a role. If you don’t mind what do your experiences look like?

Apr 25, 2019
Laniakea Supercluster
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
You took the DAT before finishing your second year?

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.