Is it possible for me to get into an MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrowningInWork

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does your cGPA include those D's? Retaking classes does not mean you don't have to calculate them into your GPA. Assuming you have, I would say finish out your undergrad with straight A's (and a superb MCAT score) and then we'll talk. Any talk of applying or postbacc work would be premature at this point.

It's not impossible. If you really want it, you can make it happen. It's going to take a lot of hard work and dedication. An above average MCAT score will be necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
just apply DO anyway. DO schools can get you almost anywhere an MD can and like candidates who reinvent themselves like yourself. Preferring MD over DO is no excuse to repeat applying. Even if you get a high mcat and good GPA I'd still recommend applying to some DOs

just apply DO anyway. DO schools can get you almost anywhere an MD can and like candidates who reinvent themselves like yourself. Preferring MD over DO is no excuse to repeat applying. Even if you get a high mcat and good GPA I'd still recommend applying to some DOs
I agree. This might be the one way you can go straight to med school after graduation.

Reactions: 1 user
For AACOMAS (DO), true. For AMCAS (MD), not true. OP, continue on the track you're doing now and you'll be fine. There are many med schools that reward reinvention.

Does your cGPA include those D's? Retaking classes does not mean you don't have to calculate them into your GPA.

Does your cGPA include those D's? Retaking classes does not mean you don't have to calculate them into your GPA. Assuming you have, I would say finish out your undergrad with straight A's (and a superb MCAT score) and then we'll talk. Any talk of applying or postbacc work would be premature at this point.
I included both grades in my calculations. AMCAS averages the scores iirc, which shouldn't make a huge difference esp given that it's just 2 classes. My cGPA is higher than one might expect because it's been padded by music performance classes that are almost a guaranteed A. (Note that I didn't take these because it's good for my GPA--you can see that music is a huge part of my life outside of school as well!)

Hopefully a strong MCAT is not unattainable--I plan to audit physics, taking it more seriously this time, and I've historically been a very strong standardized test taker (though from what I hear, the MCAT is a whole other bear when compared to the GRE, which I have already taken [long story involving taking a grad level class and an idiot academic advisor]).

The problem here is that a good sGPA is off the table when I calculate it mathematically. :(

For AACOMAS (DO), true. For AMCAS (MD), not true. OP, continue on the track you're doing now and you'll be fine. There are many med schools that reward reinvention.

Does your cGPA include those D's? Retaking classes does not mean you don't have to calculate them into your GPA.
I think you might've misread my post Goro; it's cool you're still a God in a cat's body. OP listen to Goro, he is an adcom.

I agree. This might be the one way you can go straight to med school after graduation.

True that, as I'm someone who got way too wrapped up in the whole DO vs MD debate and may be a reapplicant partially because of it, I'd say the real question OP and anyone in this situation should ask is "whether or not they want to be a doctor". Both paths make a doctor and it's fundamental not to get fixated on the whole different initials thing. MD admissions is an uphill battle for even though those who have all their ducks in line, and you want to do everything you can to not go through this process multiple times, and maximize your chances.

True that, as I'm someone who got way too wrapped up in the whole DO vs MD debate and may be a reapplicant partially because of it, I'd say the real question OP and anyone in this situation should ask is "whether or not they want to be a doctor". Both paths make a doctor and it's fundamental not to get fixated on the whole different initials thing. MD admissions is an uphill battle for even though those who have all their ducks in line, and you want to do everything you can to not go through this process multiple times, and maximize your chances.
I get that. I'll apply DO if and when the time comes, but ideally I'd like to go MD (and I think this is the case for most applicants).

My apologies, Zeds. Your advice was spot on.

OP, just a note: at graduation time we ask out students if they had to do it over again, would they rather go to a MD school, and the vast majority state "no".

I think you might've misread my post Goro; it's cool you're still a God in a cat's body. OP listen to Goro, he is an adcom.