Is it possible to become a doctor if you have a BPD diagnosis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dagaal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received treatment and can manage it. I still struggle with Depression though.

Members don't see this ad.

I have received treatment and can manage it. I still struggle with Depression though.
Yes, it's possible. Many physicians struggle with depression, and you're hardly the first person with BPD to think about a career in medicine. The key question is how well it's controlled and whether you'd pose a risk to patients. As a third party on an internet forum, I'm in no position to make any judgments there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you referring to borderline personality disorder? Personality disorders are tough, and you have to be on top of your therapy even when you are doing well. As you’ll undoubtedly hear, medical school is a furnace, so this decision is really something you need to speak to your psychiatrist about to assess your case specifically.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure what BPD is (i.e., bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder), but regardless, yes, these do not exclude you from doing the work of a physician prima facie, though it all depends on how severe your symptoms (i.e., behavior) are, how well-controlled your "disorder" is, and your faithfulness to remaining in treatment. If you're taking serious medications (more true for bipolar disorder), you will likely be required to report that when you apply for your license. If you have ever been psychiatrically hospitalized or required time off because your diagnosis, ditto.

Not enough details and too much variability for either diagnosis to say one way or another. What I will say, though, is that there are plenty of folks with both diagnoses that are high-functioning and working in high-stress careers, including being a physician. The diagnosis does not in and of itself exclude you from a career in medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
You have to make it through med school first, and med school is a furnace. I've seen it break even healthy students, and as such, I can't recommend this path unless have your illness fully under control.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with Goro. Unless you have it fully under control, I don't recommend going into it. I can tell you this from experience, as I recently took a leave of absence due to depression. I was getting better up until med school started, and then it all went downhill from there. I was spiralling out of control. I regret my decision to push through and "move on with my life anyway," when I wasn't really ready to. I guess I felt the pressure of starting my career. But trust me when I tell you, it IS a furnace. And if you are a person who inherently has a difficult time coping or balancing your life (even something as simple as your sleep schedule), like me, it can really break you down. That being said, if this is what your passion is, don't let the diagnosis stop you. They key is to remeber to go only when you're ready and have your condition fully under control, and not a second before then. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure what BPD is (i.e., bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder), but regardless, yes, these do not exclude you from doing the work of a physician prima facie, though it all depends on how severe your symptoms (i.e., behavior) are, how well-controlled your "disorder" is, and your faithfulness to remaining in treatment. If you're taking serious medications (more true for bipolar disorder), you will likely be required to report that when you apply for your license. If you have ever been psychiatrically hospitalized or required time off because your diagnosis, ditto.

Not enough details and too much variability for either diagnosis to say one way or another. What I will say, though, is that there are plenty of folks with both diagnoses that are high-functioning and working in high-stress careers, including being a physician. The diagnosis does not in and of itself exclude you from a career in medicine.
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I have a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder or Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder as it is known in the UK.

Are you referring to borderline personality disorder? Personality disorders are tough, and you have to be on top of your therapy even when you are doing well. As you’ll undoubtedly hear, medical school is a furnace, so this decision is really something you need to speak to your psychiatrist about to assess your case specifically.
Hmmmm thanks. I should be having a psychiatric review in the next few months. I will definitely ask him or her.

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I have a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder or Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder as it is known in the UK.
The admissions, training and licensing processes in the UK are quite different from the US.
Look into the practices where you plan to attend school for the best idea on what to expect.

Reactions: 1 users