is it possible to bring MCAT from teens to 30s??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctito

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
id like to hear stories form those who were scoring in the teens in the MCAT to high 20s or 30s. it would give great inspiration for those who feel like they cant ever bring up their score :oops:.

hope to hear from you guys!

-m

Members don't see this ad.

There have been plenty of situations where that has happened with board member, and I personally know someone whose diagnostic (2-3 weeks into studying) was a 14 and he ended up with a 30.

thanks guys!!! :)

first things first..i think i need to get the material cemented in my brain then take paractice tests like crazy.

at least i know now that it is very possible:)

-m

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was in undergrad I went to one of those Kaplan hosted "practice tests." I want to say this was in 2003 or 2004... I believe my score was in the 15 to 17 range... I studied some and ended up with a 29 in 2004. A lot of time passed and last year I restudied for it and took it a few months ago in January and got a 38...

So it is possible, just keep up the hard work!

It's definitely possible. The diagnostic scores isn't really indicative of anything except your preparedness at the time you took it. It doesn't really measure your potential because you aren't yet accustomed to how the test is structured and how to answer the questions.
I've personally witnessed all sorts of crazy stories. Diagnostics of 12-17 being raised to 31-39!
Don't be discouraged by your diagnostic. Just let it fuel you to be more determined than every to do better. Study hard and study smart!

Sure it is possible. I got around a 20 on my diagnostic (much was guessing) and since my panic attack where I posted on here, I've gotten up to a 33 so far. I took JUST the verbal section today and got a 15, so everything is doable. I'm intelligent, but I am by no means what many of these people on the boards are in that area.

My current batch of MCAT students just took their mid-term exam. One of my students who scored an 18 on her diagnostic scored a 29 on her AAMC PT exam. Another one of my students who scored an 18 on her diagnostic scored a 31 on her AAMC PT exam!

Granted, these are not typical results. Another one of my students scored a 15 on her diagnostic and scored only a 19 on her mid-term exam.

Still, it can be done.

While there is always some amount of innate ability and intelligence (and luck). There is a direct correlation between working hard and doing well on the MCAT. The vast majority of people that score in the mid 30s did not have it handed to them. They studied hard and efficiently. The efficiently part is critical. My score increases have NOT come from reading the kaplan books. They have come from repetition and repetition with a little more repetition. I'm good at forgetting tests when I take them, so a score increase from an aamc exam I took in November versus the one I took a few weeks ago is a legit one to me. If anything, the retake hurts me since I feel like I know the answer and get frustrated.

I'm sure the students with those increases have worked their butts off and did more than sit there for 3 hours twice a week. The more work you put in, the bigger the benefits you get out.

My diag was 13 and my latest practice exam was a 32. I literally dont sleep, I just hope that my latest score reflects the real thing in april. Anyways, dont feel bad because most of us were where you are. Just remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Diagnostics are always tough - they're meant to encourage you to sign up for prep classes! So don't feel discouraged if your initial test result wasn't that great.

I don't remember what my initial diagnostic was (so long ago!). 18? 21? 24? No idea.

I def agree with people here that diags are meant to scare you. Theres two things resulting from that. Good: Your scared, you study. Its motivation. Bad: well not really bad, but you sign up for Kaplan lol.

I think most everyone does bad on the diags. You have no idea what the test is like, probably never prepared and never took it seriously because, well its a diag.

not my diagnostic (which almost makes it scarier, lol!) but after almost two months of studying scored a 21 on a practice test. ended up with a 33 on the real thing so it's definitely possible!! good luck!

Diagnostics are always tough - they're meant to encourage you to sign up for prep classes! So don't feel discouraged if your initial test result wasn't that great.

I don't remember what my initial diagnostic was (so long ago!). 18? 21? 24? No idea.

Yeah, there's someone on here who got a 31 diagnostic and then 42 on the real thing.

whats up, I got a 16 on the kaplan diagnostic (without orgo II) or any studying.
I am taking a prep course (still debating on kaplan or PR) over the summer,
and I hope to get a +30 on the MCAT (taking it in Aug.)

Good luck to all of you taking the MCAT soon

whats up, I got a 16 on the kaplan diagnostic (without orgo II) or any studying.
I am taking a prep course (still debating on kaplan or PR) over the summer,
and I hope to get a +30 on the MCAT (taking it in Aug.)

Good luck to all of you taking the MCAT soon

Why are you taking the MCAT if you're an optometry student?