Is it possible to change careers from Pharmacy to Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.Rizk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I am currently still a student in a clinical pharmacy college (4th year) and I wanted to know if it was possible to change careers from pharmacy to medicine after I graduate. If it's possible, will my pharmacy degree be considered pre-medical at least, or will I have to start over as if I just graduated high school?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate your responses :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but you have an uphill battle because you're facing the skepticism of people will think "and how do we know that you won't bail on Medicine like you did with Pharmacy?"

Your Pharmacy grades will count toward DO, but not for MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but you have an uphill battle because you're facing the skepticism of people will think "and how do we know that you won't bail on Medicine like you did with Pharmacy?"

Your Pharmacy grades will count toward DO, but not for MD.

I am not really bailing it is just that I couldn't afford a medicine college when I graduated high school but now I can. I am not transferring before I graduate from Pharmacy though.

Are you sure about it not counting towards pre-medical in MD? I have no interest in DO tbh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I know a physician who went from being a high school principal to a pharmacist and then into medical school. I can't say his wallet would be happy but he's doing something he loves.

Yes. I know a physician who went from being a high school principal to a pharmacist and then into medical school. I can't say his wallet would be happy but he's doing something he loves.

Thanks. I really appreciate your response. I really hope I get accepted.

I am not really bailing it is just that I couldn't afford a medicine college when I graduated high school but now I can. I am not transferring before I graduate from Pharmacy though.

Are you sure about it not counting towards pre-medical in MD? I have no interest in DO tbh.
This is a lousy reason for pursuing Medicine.

Goo look up what AMCAS has to say about graduate level GPAs.

Beggars can't be choosy, either.

Are you sure about it not counting towards pre-medical in MD? I have no interest in DO tbh.[/QUOeTE]

He's definitely sure, lol. And honestly man a lot of the DO programs are just as solid as many of the MD (saying this tentatively before I get destroyed on here). They are also in general more open to people who are career changers.

But in general yes pharmacists have definitely become physicians in the past, it can be done. But I would highly recommend you shadow a few docs before you jump into this.. At this point, you'd have to take the MCAT next year anyhow, so you have all fall to begin shadowing and volunteering.

Are you a green card holder or US citizen? Based on your post you sound like you are outside the US. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's correct. I do not live in the US but I am planning to study medicine in the US, Canada or the U.K.

There's a pharmacist in my current class... and I can tell you most of us are totes jelly of his mastery of the drugs and side effects... He's the bomb. In many ways you'll be the rockstar of your medical school and your patients (because you'll have a deeper understanding of the primary tools of the trade than most med students!) Go for it, and more power to you!!!!

@Goro

OP is not from the US so not a green card holder. All I know is that he or she will have to become a green card holder first (which takes a long time) and have 90 credit hours of undergrad in the US before he or she can even apply. What are his/her options?

@Goro

OP is not from the US so not a green card holder. All I know is that he or she will have to become a green card holder first (which takes a long time) and have 90 credit hours of undergrad in the US before he or she can even apply. What are his/her options?

I can always apply as an international student. There is a special visa for that. That's not the issue though. What I am asking about is whether a pharmacy degree would count as pre-medical at least and deduct some years or I will have to start over.