Is it possible to determine if you passed through the NBME site?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nitro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys

i guess the question is self explanatory... i heard from someone that you could figure out if you passed or failed by attempting to register for the exam again. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

the oasis site used by international students doesn't allow you to register again if you've passed, but there are conflicting reports as to whether or not that holds up for the nbme site.
this post would point to no, there's no way of finding out early via the nbme site:
Oct 31, 06 - 04:28 #56

For non-IMGs, beware this doesn't work for NBME website!

I was scared to death when it let me proceed with making another application (I didn't go all the way, but it let's you enter registration info). Turns out I did really well on the exam, but trying to do this got me so worried since I thought I failed it.
http://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/14849/3/

Even if you are IMG and can do the OASIS trick, it only works once the scores have been released. Otherwise it may still let you proceed and make you think you've failed.

Everyone: Don't just worry about passing - set your sights higher.

Everyone: Don't just worry about passing - set your sights higher.

Um, once you have taken the test "setting your sights" becomes meaningless. It is all about prayer at that point -- out of your hands. Sort of like setting the sights on a gun after you have already pulled the trigger -- it ceases to be a factor. So sure it makes perfect sense to worry about passing at that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you try to apply by NBME site and after you select step1 lets you go tru that is bad news, but if it says that they cant process your application you are still on the safe side.

how did you find out this really works? did you know someone who reapplied, paid, and did fail? how many people do you know have this same experience? Just curious

got my score back, I passed. what a relief. I tried the NBME website, it let me register but i didnot fail

If you try to apply by NBME site and after you select step1 lets you go tru that is bad news, but if it says that they cant process your application you are still on the safe side.
Bunch of crap. It let me register, and I did fine on Step 1.