Is it possible to do a fellowship in Child/pediatric neurology after general neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neoevolution

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone be able to do neurology residency and then do a separate peds residency and work with pediatric neurology patients? Or is the only route to match into child neurology? I have seen neurodevelopmental disabilities listed on the ABMS site, but that training seems to be 3-4 years from the programs I found.

I found a thread about how it used to be more common to do general-->child, but nowadays you essentially have to match into child directly. Is that usually the case?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, how exactly does it work to move from peds residency to child neuro? Would you complete 2 years of general peds and then apply into child neuro programs that have open spots due to a resident leaving, and then do 3 more years there?

Also, how exactly does it work to move from peds residency to child neuro? Would you complete 2 years of general peds and then apply into child neuro programs that have open spots due to a resident leaving, and then do 3 more years there?

Yes, but there are two options to go into child neurology: starting at the third year child neuro fellowship or peds internship position. Child Neurology is actually a fellowship and the majority of people would apply after doing 2 years of General Pediatrics. They do one year of adult neurology and then 2 years of child neurology for a total of 5 years of training. There are certain programs that are combined where you do both General Peds and Ped Neuro training within the 5 year timeframe but you apply for the residency position during fourth year of med school. This now seems to be the majority of child neurology positions as people are now applying for it during fourth year instead of after 2 years of Gen Peds. I'm an adult neurologist so I'll let the child neuro folks chime in on this as well.

Last edited: