Is it possible to do OMFS externship in 1st or 2nd year dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scientist1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if students have done OMFS externships in 1st year or the summer between their 1st and 2nd year at dental school? if yes, which at which programs? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anywhere that will take you that early. We take guys between 2 and 3rd year, but not earlier. Spend that summer doing something else to boost your resume--research, electives, etc.

Your best luck would to be to try and do something with your own dental school's OMS program. External institutions generally won't take you until you at least have done your local anesthesia course.

tx oms said:
I don't know anywhere that will take you that early. We take guys between 2 and 3rd year, but not earlier. Spend that summer doing something else to boost your resume--research, electives, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jediwendell said:
Your best luck would to be to try and do something with your own dental school's OMS program. External institutions generally won't take you until you at least have done your local anesthesia course.

So here at UNLV we do our local anesthesia the first half of our first summer, so next May/June, will also have our cpr training done and basic radiology course too and then we have a summer enrichment program where we are encouraged to go and do something in dentistry external to our own school for the whole month of August.
Do omfs programs and/or other specialties take these things into consideration or is a DS1 always just a DS1.

DIRTIE said:
So here at UNLV we do our local anesthesia the first half of our first summer, so next May/June, will also have our cpr training done and basic radiology course too and then we have a summer enrichment program where we are encouraged to go and do something in dentistry external to our own school for the whole month of August.
Do omfs programs and/or other specialties take these things into consideration or is a DS1 always just a DS1.
The best thing to do would be to call the programs that you are interested in and tell them the situation.

DIRTIE said:
Talk to Dr. Nattestad. He would know exactly.

A lot of the externship programs I applied to also wanted to know the results for the NBDE I. Maybe that's why they rarely take 1st and 2nd years?? :confused:

Scientist1 said:
Does anyone know if students have done OMFS externships in 1st year or the summer between their 1st and 2nd year at dental school? if yes, which at which programs? thanks.

I remember Minnesota letting a first year guy come 3 years back. I don't know what they'll permit now. I taught him local anesthesia and helped him take his first teeth out. Good experience. He only stayed for a week which is probably about as much as you can get as a first year. We have had two pre dent people come and do externships with us. Where I am at you could see alot but not do anything. Hospital policy is to not let externs do more than cut stitch here. I snuck a few screw on a mandible for a guy. I would count on most externships this early in your education to be more observational than hands on.