Is it possible to fail out of Podiatry school and get accepted again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adventure-time

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I know that if you fail out of medical school (MD/DO), you are essentially barred from ever re-entering. Does the same hold true for podiatry school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone.

I know that if you fail out of medical school (MD/DO), you are essentially barred from ever re-entering. Does the same hold true for podiatry school?
There are academic probations and retakes and enrolling with the incoming class and so on so forth put into place.

If you burn all those bridges, why should they let you back in?

Reactions: 4 users
You seem to be pretty worried about starting school based on your recent posts. All of this negativity and worry will only hurt you once you do start. If you truly give it your best effort from day one you will not fail out, and I bet you will surprise yourself with how well you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you fail it's a pretty good indication that you won't be successful as a physician. Work hard and do your best.

Reactions: 1 users
There are academic probations and retakes and enrolling with the incoming class and so on so forth put into place.

If you burn all those bridges, why should they let you back in?

You seem to be pretty worried about starting school based on your recent posts. All of this negativity and worry will only hurt you once you do start. If you truly give it your best effort from day one you will not fail out, and I bet you will surprise yourself with how well you do.

If you fail it's a pretty good indication that you won't be successful as a physician. Work hard and do your best.

All very true. I'm just being cautious. I hope to excel in the program! I'm just preparing for worst-case scenarios. Many of my classmates definitely seem very intelligent. It's definitely pretty competitive in that respect.

I would hope to earn second chances if something goes wrong.

All very true. I'm just being cautious. I hope to excel in the program! I'm just preparing for worst-case scenarios. Many of my classmates definitely seem very intelligent. It's definitely pretty competitive in that respect.

I would hope to earn second chances if something goes wrong.
Don't worry about second chances.

As podstar mentioned above--- I did not think I would make it to 2nd year.
I had very weak stats.
All of my classmates are extremely intelligent.

If I can do it, I have no doubt you can do it. If you want it and work hard.

Don't worry. Just do. Jump in and don't think about it.

Don't worry about second chances.

As podstar mentioned above--- I did not think I would make it to 2nd year.
I had very weak stats.
All of my classmates are extremely intelligent.

If I can do it, I have no doubt you can do it. If you want it and work hard.

Don't worry. Just do. Jump in and don't think about it.

Alright, I will work hard and see what happens. I might still think about second chances and back-ups if something goes wrong though, but its nice to be assured! Although considering 20% of people drop out, with maybe 10% or so failing. Hopefully it won't succumb to that. I'll definitely get a feel where I'm at in the next couple weeks. It's a pretty new semester.

Hello everyone.

We have got a tremendous emotional support this week during orientations. They have worked to improve our confidence and offer various options of help. All this week's orientations made me feel better and feel like at home. Everyone is super friendly and offered help when needed.

We have got lots of tips for success.
Some of them are:

1. Don't procrastinate
2. Ask questions
3. Ask for and seek help right away
4. Don't wait until it is too late
5. Don't let bad test score make you feel bad
6. Find time to relax, get with your friends and take care of yourself

Don't even think about negative outcomes. Set your mindset on positivity, confidence and success. Tell yourself that you can do it.

A lot depends on your mindset. Talk to people with positive outlook.

We have had conversations with 2nd year students and from what I have seen that they all have life outside of school. Everyone is involved in some academic, extracurricular or sport activities. People have their own personal activities. They have time for that.

You will do fine. If you got to medical school, you are smart enough to go through the school. Just plan your time accordingly. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone.

One of the best advice I got during term 1 was that if things are not going well then: 1. Change the studying method 2. Ask for help asap.

The help will be from 2nd-year students who have excelled in the coursework you're in, faculty, and advisors.

Don't wait until exam 3 or something if exams 1 and 2 did not go well. Learn from the mistakes, get help, make the changes, and move on.

Other than that, if you put in the hours every day while taking care for yourself.(food/gym/social life)..you should be fine.

All the best for term 1 to you and anyone else here that just started :)

Has someone failed out and then was admitted back in? Maybe, I’d imagine it’s happened in the history of the profession somewhere.

I would imagine the answer is no for 99.5% of cases. Back when I was looking at pod schools, most places had a “three strikes, you’re out” policy.

Good luck, and try and have some fun. Someone actually thought you would make a good foot doctor. Make it count.

Reactions: 1 user
I would imagine the answer is no for 99.5% of cases. Back when I was looking at pod schools, most places had a “three strikes, you’re out” policy.

Good luck, and try and have some fun. Someone actually thought you would make a good foot doctor. Make it count.

Thanks!

What would the three strikes consist of? Failing 3 courses or soemthing else?

Thanks!

What would the three strikes consist of? Failing 3 courses or soemthing else?

Each school has their own policies and you should read cover-cover your programs student handbook.
Every student is expected to know their school's policies and rules.

Expanding on to what Weirdy has already said:
- if you're taking 5 classes in a term and fail 3, you will probably be kicked out (program dependent)
- if you fail a course, are given a chance to retest or repeat, but fail again, you will probably be kicked out
- if the failed course is not offered in the next term, then you'll be placed in the following graduating class
- Most students who are on academic probations, for whatever reasons, will be kicked out if they fail more classes

Is it easy to fail classes, or is it more of a easy to pass with a C, hard to get an A?

Is it easy to fail classes, or is it more of a easy to pass with a C, hard to get an A?

If you put in the time then you should be able to pass with a C at least. Getting A is another beast and dependent on the program because some places an A is 90/100, whereas, at some, it's 93+. It's also course dependent because like anatomy you have to put more hours than other classes vs say biochem (where you might have some background from undergrad/mcat studying/etc).

Since this is a medical field, you are expected to study 3-4+ hours every day on your own (besides being in lecture) and if you do that then I think managing a B average is very likely, if not better.

To add: students who are failing, who I have seen struggle and are now a year behind are the ones who put no effort or have an interest in studying (not sure why they got into this field in the first place), then there are those who do not know how to manage their time wisely or how to study smart (there is no time to read textbooks here, sure you can go back and reference stuff but in general its all lecture ppts), some fail due to health issues, family problems, etc.

If you put the time in, you should have no problem at least passing your classes. I'm not the greatest student to ever walk the Earth, and I've not had a single class thus far where I legitimately felt like I was at risk of failing through the first 2 years of coursework.

Barring personal / external causes for failing a class, it's pretty hard not to get through so long as you're giving at least some effort.

I know it varies from school to school, but what are exam questions like? Are they straitforward like “what is the artery connected to the anterior blah blah” or is it more involved like “patient comes in with sandpaper rash, malaise accompanied by a dry cough, test results catalase positive, what is the diagnosis”?

I know it varies from school to school, but what are exam questions like? Are they straitforward like “what is the artery connected to the anterior blah blah” or is it more involved like “patient comes in with sandpaper rash, malaise accompanied by a dry cough, test results catalase positive, what is the diagnosis”?
first year questions are more straightforward. second year is about half and half straight/clinical