Is it possible to finish residency with H4b visa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wgzmb123

Reaction score
I'm a foreign graduates and have already done couple of yeas residency training in US. Unfortuanately I didn't finish back then so not board eligible. I was on j1 and now came back as H4b, my husband worked here. The program I'm looking at doesn't sponsor any visa. Just wondering anyone knew any people who had finish two or three years of residency with H4b or any caveat I should be aware of.

Members don't see this ad.

In general, any program that offers H1b will also consider H4. Many programs that offer J1 will also accept an H4, since it's no work/cost to them.

Do you actually have an H4 EAD? I ask because you mention you had a J1 to start. You would need to complete the HRR (which it sounds like you may have done by going back to your home country for 2 years) before you could get an H4, and certainly before getting an EAD.

But the biggest caveat is your sense that you'll just be able to "finish 2-3 years" now. You will likely find it difficult to find a new spot. Programs may insist that you start all over again. Much depends on why you left your previous program.

In general, any program that offers H1b will also consider H4. Many programs that offer J1 will also accept an H4, since it's no work/cost to them.

Do you actually have an H4 EAD? I ask because you mention you had a J1 to start. You would need to complete the HRR (which it sounds like you may have done by going back to your home country for 2 years) before you could get an H4, and certainly before getting an EAD.

But the biggest caveat is your sense that you'll just be able to "finish 2-3 years" now. You will likely find it difficult to find a new spot. Programs may insist that you start all over again. Much depends on why you left your previous program.
I have H4b and applying for EAD now. I'm worried that the annual EAD renewal takes a very long time right now and whether it would leave a gap in between years.

You are absolutely right about the program part. There is no ganrantee and I have already had multiple program said no to me.. I asked them about the EAD part but they don't have too much experience. Not sure if this was the reason they turned me down.

H4 visas are somewhat unstable. They are officially non-working visas. Obama via executive action changed it so that one could get an EAD if your H1b partner was in the process of getting a GC. Trump tried to undo it, but never got it done. Biden has stopped Trump's attempt. But it's only a pen stroke away from being ended, so many places may be uncomfortable.

If EAD renewal is a problem (which is a surprise to me, usually it is quick and easy) then that's another problem. Gaps between years of training is untenable.

H4 visas are somewhat unstable. They are officially non-working visas. Obama via executive action changed it so that one could get an EAD if your H1b partner was in the process of getting a GC. Trump tried to undo it, but never got it done. Biden has stopped Trump's attempt. But it's only a pen stroke away from being ended, so many places may be uncomfortable.

If EAD renewal is a problem (which is a surprise to me, usually it is quick and easy) then that's another problem. Gaps between years of training is untenable.
Yeah, I better ask a lawyer to get an answer for this. H4B is unstable for sure and I understand the program's concern. Hope my partner would get GC soon. Thank for your answer though!

Just wondering, for the H4 spouse to get the EAD is this something that takes a long time? For example if someone goes on an H-1b for a fellowship, would they able to apply for a green card and then their spouse can get the EAD?

Just wondering, for the H4 spouse to get the EAD is this something that takes a long time? For example if someone goes on an H-1b for a fellowship, would they able to apply for a green card and then their spouse can get the EAD?
In general you can't apply for a GC while in a fellowship, since to do so your employer needs to offer you a permanent position which a fellowship is not. And the GC process is often slow, depends on what country you are from.

H4 as a working visa is somewhat unstable, since it was not that way in the past, and I think was changed by executive action? So could be undone just as easily.